Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Whistling Fuel Tank Problem FIXED!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007 | 06:48 PM
sammie
Intermediate
Default RE: Whistling Fuel Tank Problem FIXED!!

guess i will have to fix this myself. the only problem i can see is how do you get the hose off the nipple leaving the tank there is no hose clamp on that end. the fuel pump side has a clamp

Old 09-11-2007 | 08:26 AM
kishstl
Road Master

Fixed mine myself in about 45 minutes. The crazy thing is that the new part (for the 02 models at least) requires you to replace the quick release valve on the fuel tank also, when all that is wrong is that the cheap *** plastic tube they used is cracked and leaking.

Old 09-11-2007 | 06:13 PM
Speed
Road Captain

I am addressing this exact problem at the moment on my Deuce. I am/was running lean and was starting to become very disappointed with my thundermax ecm. till I heard the whistle and though if the fuel system isnt getting the right pressure it surely isnt going to work right.
I took the top of the fuel tank apart last night but I didnt find a hole (honestly, it was late and I wasnt looking real hard) I'm gonna look into it further and see if I cant borrow a fuel pressure gauge from someone to check it out.

Old 09-11-2007 | 10:43 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sammie

how do you get the hose off the nipple leaving the tank there is no hose clamp
I don't know if it (officially) requires a special tool or not, but I believe it's like an air hose quick disconnect, where you slide the shell to release the hose.

Here: "Locate the quick-connect fitting on the left side of fuel tank. Pull up on chrome sleeve and pull down on fuel supply line fitting to disconnect."

Old 09-12-2007 | 07:29 PM
Chief101
Road Captain

curious..........my 06 has on occasion developed a short whistle at times when I turn it off.....just sounds like a sort of low pitched short whistle........sound like the same problem??

Old 09-16-2007 | 07:21 AM
Go3Win8
Novice

Coolray, I believe thats an umbrella valve in the air cleaner that you are hearing. You should hear that when you shut the bike down. That's normal.

Old 09-20-2007 | 04:54 PM
Chief101
Road Captain

Thx for the info!

Old 09-25-2007 | 10:34 AM
mile hi
Intermediate

Is the hose a seperate piece? I looked at the parts manual for '05 FXDI, it shows the pump and hose as one assembly: no seperate part # for the hose.

Old 09-25-2007 | 12:01 PM
jskwarek
Road Master

Looks like I am going to be doing this, but for a different reason. I am having a new tank built from an 01 Road Glide tank. I order the whole (well what I thought was the whole) assembly from my dealer and sent it to the builder so they would have it for mock up of the new dash and could put it all together. Well I just got a call and the hose that goes from the pump down to the nipple on the bottom of the tank as well as the nipple are not in the kit.

Does any one know what these part numbers are or what else I am going to need. I told them just to finish up the tank as all they really need it for was mock up for the dash and I would getting it working on this side.

Looks to me that all I am going to need is the nipple that goes into the bung on the bottom of the tank and the line that goes up into the pump, but let me know what I am missing? Also I have a stock 04 Road King tank can I just pull these pieces off that tank and move them over? The only reason I needed the new pump for the new tank was so that it was a center full, but the bung and line should be the same right?

Jeff