Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TMAX-AUTO TUNE & MPG

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:19 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: TMAX-AUTO TUNE & MPG

ORIGINAL: bob2002

On a recent trip two up(340lbs),45-50lbs of luggage to upstate NY &east to maineon back roads 43 mpg,on95,I 90,I 87 & 84 running 75-80mph coming home 37 MPGwith a Power commander, I'm looking to improve mpg and performance. I don't know if spending another 700.00 is worth it,I may go back to the factory headers or a 2-1 set-up where the tmax be a help but I wonder if there's any more mpg in the 96 motor.
Bob

PM iclick(a member here) and see if he can help you get your PCIII dialed in. He rides his '07 SG ALOT and has done quite well with dialing his in for economy. He is a very nice fella and will be glad to help you.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks we have

Old 07-17-2007, 09:36 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks we have
[sm=ummmmokay.gif]

as in recently or in the past? Just wondering if the input received helped or came back void.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:47 AM
bob2002
Road Master

Just this week,I was looking at his maps and there very close to mine as what I have tried to do,I may havehit thewall with the pwr commander & mpg

Old 07-17-2007, 10:03 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Just this week,I was looking at his maps and there very close to mine as what I have tried to do,I may havehit thewall with the pwr commander & mpg
Wow.

On a recent trip two up(340lbs),45-50lbs of luggage to upstate NY &east to maineon back roads 43 mpg,on95,I 90,I 87 & 84 running 75-80mph coming home 37 MPGwith a Power commander, I'm looking to improve mpg and performance. I don't know if spending another 700.00 is worth it,I may go back to the factory headers or a 2-1 set-up where the tmax be a help but I wonder if there's any more mpg in the 96 motor.
Judging by this, I'd say you are doing quite well and your current setup would rival any other offering related to economy.

I can't verify the MPG of my TMax because I want to put some miles on it to allow it to "tune" so economy for me is not important. I can say my mileage isn't going to be good because the thing runs like a scalded ape and staying out of the throttle is damn near impossible. I actually DESIRE to ride my bike now. Fun factor = 300%

I can attest that when using my SERT with a canned map and the CLB tables maxed to 798mV that I would get an average of 45MPG with sensible driving and a cooler running motor and I was ecstatic.........not much different than what you get with the PCIII and certainly not enough to justify an additional expense of a different fuel management system......IMO.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:19 AM
bob2002
Road Master

see thats the thing even set for mpg the best I ever saw was 43-44,and then it's not a road burner either then,my hp& torque #'s are 81&81 which seem low,I was thinking of going back to the stock header or a 2-1 setup,if I start playing around again the tmax would pay for itself and save pounding the bike on the dyno.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:40 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm sure you already know this, but there is ALWAYS going to be a "trade-off" one for the other.

If ecomony is what one seeks as priority, performance is going to be effected. If performance is sought, economy is effected. The goal is to find the middle of the spectrum and be content. Ipersonally think youfound that "middle" with your build.

You shouldgain some torque back with either factory headers or a 2-1 setup whichwould comfirm the lossassociated with true duals, but at some point you'rejust going to be rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

If curiosity consumes your thought processes, get the TMax, hang on, and ride it like you stole it...........it's a blast! [sm=gears.gif]

Old 07-17-2007, 11:06 AM
bob2002
Road Master

I know what your saying,do you still have the crossover on ? if so is it cooler with the tmax?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:34 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

I know what your saying,do you still have the crossover on ? if so is it cooler with the tmax?
Yup, I kept my stock headers and just use slip-ons. I like the torquethe stock headerspreserve.

"Cooler" hasbecome such a subjective topic because most lose focus on what cooler is referencing. When I speak of "cooler", I'm speaking of engine temps, not exhaust header temps persay, because ANY exhaust header is going to be smoking hot. A consideration that one should take into account when selecting pipes is, how are the pipes being considered laid out on the bike.....ie....does the "layout" come close to body parts while riding the bike, because if so, you're going to feel the heat off the exhaust and this effects perception of what is cool vs. what is hot. This is why most like the true duals is because the "heat" is kept down low vs. a stock header or even most 2:1's where the rear cylinder head pipe lays in close proximity to a leg of the rider.

With that said, in reference to the fuel management systems, adding fuel and less air(richness) aids in cooling the engine down vs. less fuel and more air(leaness) contributes to heat. Certainly more complex than this, but easy enough to get a grasp on the topic at hand. Throw into this equation the air cooled motor and things really heat up.(pun intended)

Does my TMax allow my engine to run cooler? Yes it does, but understanding what I've already mentioned about economy vs. performance there is always a degree of trade off. Your PCIII will allow your engine to run cooler too, but fuel is added and economy is affected. The reason I chose a TMax to replace my SERT is because there is not a decent tuner within 300 miles of me to tune my bike with a SERT.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 AM
bob2002
Road Master

I starting to have doubts about my tuner too,I'm going to geta map fromfuel moto to try thefactory pipe again.

Quick Reply: TMAX-AUTO TUNE & MPG