Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Harley Davidson Magnetti Morelli EFI

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

THat will be a good try. Never heard back on running any techron through existing injectors or checking intake leaks. Looking at it sitting for 3 years, cleaning would be a good thing to do.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:49 PM
Rockhd58
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled and tested Injectors today, Resistance reading of 140 OHM's on meter. Need replacements.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

I am going to suggest that you read the meter wrong. I just measured a set and they were 14.8 ohms. Looks like you are off a decimal or are not reading the range correctly. Also, if you think that a resistance issue is the cause of a midrange concern, I would again aim you back to cleaning them. If you were 130 ohms off, you would not have a running bike.

If you are using a cheap harbor freight centech meter (the free of 4$ one), I would not trust it.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 10-02-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:00 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Great back and forth people. This is why I live the EVO section
Techron is great stuff.
I use it at the beginning of riding season here in MA.Its a five month lay over. And yes, I treat the with Staybil and fill with premium to the top.
Fuel related pieces are very sensitive to ethanol. Hate that crap!

Old 12-19-2020, 05:39 PM
Fedup-01-ultra
5th Gear

This is similar to what my 01 ultra classic is doing. Backfire's sometimes and breaks up in low to mid but runs strong on top. Once warm though after running hard on top it takes a few seconds for the idle to come back down. This all started almost immediately after filling up with ethanol fuel.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:13 PM
1Breakout
Stage III

Im haveing the same issues. How did you get the tank cleaned.

Old 06-09-2022, 09:38 PM
Lowluv72
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I could use Ed Ramberger

Let me start by saying thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread. Also my bike runs like a top but my TPS readings are NOWHERE near the ranges specified here or in my factory service manual. How does that work?

2000 FLHRCI stock with slip-ons, 105,000 miles

I only took cold readings and adjusted my throttle cables so i achieved WOT. I have NOT touched my warm/cold idle screws.

This is my throttle closed. Bike cold, ISC unplugged, ignition on

This is the throttle grip wide open before i adjusted the cables

And this is after adjusting the cables to achieve actual WOT

This is the wire I'm taking readings off of. The meter ground is to the passenger peg bolt.

Like I said my bike runs like a top.. I have a big trip coming up next week so I'm not touching it because it runs great. But why would my readings be this far off without the bike having issues? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by Lowluv72; 06-09-2022 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:04 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Couple things you have wrong.

1) you should be back probing 2 of the 3 wires - NOT using a chassis ground.
2) At WOT you will see nearly 5V so that measurement is hosed.
3) If you have throttle cables acting on it or idle screws (closed reading) I would suspect you should be seeing .5ish to .6ish so that measurement is hosed.
4) You should be measuring between pins 16 & 30 (the two outside wires). If your voltages are floating around, one of your connections is not on and you are getting ghost voltage readings.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:09 PM
Lowluv72
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thank you

So my meter negative should be connected to the left wire? I obviously don't have a breakout box. Also just FYI I'm not new to wrenching or wiring, this is my first HD though. I really appreciate your feedback.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:16 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lowluv72
So my meter negative should be connected to the left wire? I obviously don't have a breakout box. Also just FYI I'm not new to wrenching or wiring, this is my first HD though. I really appreciate your feedback.
Yes and you have to make sure both pins are hitting the terminals inside the connector. I use back probe pins for meters - less chance for an oops. If you had a good chassis ground you probably would have gotten a reading if the pin was hitting the terminal. Reason you shouldn't be using the chassis ground is that the ECM is the correct grounding source for this circuit.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Magnetti Morelli EFI