Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Commander III...DIY???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 10:57 AM
trex_47e
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander III...DIY???

I have a rookie question when it comes to tinkering with a bike. If I buy true duals, and a stage one kit...to put on myself. Can I just strap on a Power Commander III usb and map it out, without taking it back to the dealer for an ECM reflash? And....will that void my warranty?

Buying a 06 Street Glide and want to tinker with this bike myself. I always took my FXDWG to the shop to have it tinkered with.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:41 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander III...DIY???

If you are going true duals you will lose Tq & Hp, but you can get some back if you have the bike Dyno Tuned and not just a generic map installed on the PCIII which is what MOST people do to save money which makes NO sense at all, but who am I to say.

Yes you will void your warranty, but you can always pull the aftermarket mods off and put the stock back on and take to the dealer and hope they can fix the problem under warranty aslong as they can't prove you had aftermarket on the bike.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:43 AM
trex_47e
Cruiser

Re thinking true duals, maybe a two into one. More trq.

Old 10-29-2005, 12:13 PM
raftgyde
Road Master

ORIGINAL: trex_47e

Can I just strap on a Power Commander III usb and map it out, without taking it back to the dealer for an ECM reflash? And....will that void my warranty?

Buying a 06 Street Glide and want to tinker with this bike myself. I always took my FXDWG to the shop to have it tinkered with.

Short answer. Yes. [you can do it yourself] If I were you, I'd do the install myself and then take it to a Power Commander Tuning Center for a DynoTune. Around here, it runs about $120 and is worth every penny. You've got one right there in Clarksville: Action Cycles, 1174 Ft Campbell Blvd. I didn't see any downloads for '06 models, but I'm sure they'll have them soon. A map for an '05 may work fine since you're changing the pipes.

It depends on your dealer. Generally aftermarket, do-it-yourself installs will not void the warranty but should only disqualify a warranty claim if the part/install caused a failure to the warranteed Harley part. For example, if your ECM fails, you take it to the dealer with the Power Commander still on the bike, he probably will say the PC III may have caused the failure and refuse to make the repair under warranty. However, if your oil pump fails, that has nothing to do with the PC III and the oil pump and associated repairs should be covered under warranty. Like I said, it depends on the dealer/stealer. Some will try to get out of doing ANY warranty work. Others will bend over backwards to help you out and get you back on the road as fast as they can. Best advice I can give you is stop by the shop and ask the service manager what their policy is.

Old 10-29-2005, 02:35 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

raftgyde pointed you in the right direction there with the info. Any Mod does not void your warrantee unless such part that is deffective was tied in some way to the mod itself that you did.

Check out the topics in this forum https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_242/tt.htm

Old 11-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I have heard lots of good things about the D&D fatcat 2-1 pipe.