Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Sert or PC3

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:11 PM
nafarmboy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sert or PC3

With it being understood that installing a sert or pc3 could void parts of your warranty. Also, being understood that it is kinda up to dealer and if you allow them to install either they will be more likely to honor warranty. My question is, since either can be bought online at a saving versus buying from dealer, is there anyway for the dealer to detect that either has been used to tune bike if bike is returned to stock condition before returning to dealer for warranty work.
nafarmboy

Old 07-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Sean883
Cruiser
Default RE: Sert or PC3

If you remove the PCIII from the bike, they will never know it was installed.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:34 PM
nafarmboy
Intermediate

Had that feeling about the pc3...............does anybody know about the sert. Can dealer tell if it has been installed if current map is saved and replaced before warranty service if needed?

Old 07-15-2007, 09:22 PM
FXSTD.AU
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SERT manual states:
Disclaimer & Warnings
Do not install the EFI Tuner on any model other than those specified in this User’s Manual. Doing so may result in poor engine performance, electrical-system damage, and/or engine damage. This Screamin' Eagle EFI Tuner system is intended for high-performance applications only. This engine-related performance part is not legal for use on pollution-controlled motor vehicles. Use of this Screamin' Eagle EFI Tuner system may reduce or void the Limited Warranty Coverage. This Screamin' Eagle EFI Tuner system allows the engine to reach optimum RPM. It is extremely important that the rider use the tachometer to avoid harmful RPM's and possible engine damage. Engine-related Performance Parts are intended for the experienced rider only.
Do not exceed 6200 RPM on all Twin Cam96 engines that use stock valve springs. Exceeding 6200 RPM on these vehicles may cause engine damage.
Do not exceed 6200 RPM on balanced Twin Cam B96 engines, regardless of additional engine modifications. Exceeding 6200 RPM on these vehicles may cause engine damage

If SERT has been installed it should be easy to see changes to the ECM from the original settings. If you saved the original ECM setting prior to SERT flashing you could always load those setting back on, but thats a pretty slippery slope and you'd prolly get your bike tossed back at you once they figured out what had been done.

I've got SERT installed and i had the dealer do it... I think you're right about dealers honouring claimsgiven the technical nature of the tuner you have the power to alter so many variables and in inexperienced hands that could mean damage is done inadvertently. Hourouring a claim could largly depend on what damage was done and cost to repair.Lots of guys have opted to tune SERT themselves to save a few bucks... it does carry more risk than having the dealer so it - but thats life, take the level of risk you are comfortable with (or can afford).

Old 07-15-2007, 09:40 PM
FXSTD.AU
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See also here for technical details of USA warranty regulations

https://www.hdforums.com/m_76699/tm.htm

Old 07-15-2007, 10:12 PM
nafarmboy
Intermediate

I realize that the dealer would be able to see that the ecm had been changed but my question was , suppose they installed a stage one download and I saved it before using the sert and then reinstalled the stage one download, would the dealer be able to tell it was reinstalled by me or would it seem as it was the same download they installed? In other words does the sert leave trace of its presence in the ecm? I would merely like to experiment with some of the other downloads and not worry about the dealer using the sert as an out if I need warranty later.
nafarmboy

Old 07-15-2007, 10:17 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: nafarmboy

I realize that the dealer would be able to see that the ecm had been changed but my question was , suppose they installed a stage one download and I saved it before using the sert and then reinstalled the stage one download, would the dealer be able to tell it was reinstalled by me or would it seem as it was the same download they installed? In other words does the sert leave trace of its presence in the ecm? I would merely like to experiment with some of the other downloads and not worry about the dealer using the sert as an out if I need warranty later.
nafarmboy
You can't save the download.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:33 PM
nafarmboy
Intermediate

I wasnt for sure, I thought I read on here that you could but in either case the stage 1 download would be on the sert disc wouldnt it.
nafarmboy

Old 07-16-2007, 04:55 PM
JMAN
Advanced

My dealer is really cool about it. Doesn't matter if you do it yourself or they do it for you. About 3 weeks after purchasing my bike I asked him if the upgrades were going to void the warranty. His reply was simply "Hell no....Harley's were expected to be customized....as long as your using OEM parts or better, there aren't any problems"

C&S Harley Davidson in Nashville, TN RULES! You should stop in to see Phil & Curt if your ever down this way.