Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

V&H FP3 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 06:33 PM
opd1264
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default V&H FP3 Issues

Ok I'll try to keep it short.

I bought a used 2007 Ultra Classic. It has a stage 1. V&H Dresser Dual head pipes and the Monster Wide Ovals. It has a hi flow air cleaner. I am guessing it has a tune in it from the dealer as it ran really well.

So I decided to go with a set of Andrews 48 Cams. I also replaced the lifters with a set of Woods, and some EZ Adjust S&S Pushrods. The install was easy and I triple checked the cam timing.

Next I got an FP3. Hooked it up chose the exhaust flashed and then added the cams. Bike ran like ****. I learned that the FP3 just reads the tune from the ECM and makes changes to that. Well it wasnt a stock tune in the first place so that became an issue. Under 2200 rpm's the bike had a bad hesitation and would pop every now and again. After 2200 or so it pulled real hard and cleaned up.

Spent 2 days talking with Mark at V&H. He had me upload and download several revisions. This is all based on the KPA at idle in the sensor views. Mine is between 45 and 50, Mark said that isnt right it should be in the low 40's to high 30's at idle. So after a couple of tries today he believes the MAP sensor is dirty or not right. I do believe he started with a stock 07 Ultra Classic tune and added the settings for the exhaust and the cams.

I also learned, I am pretty much stuck with the FP3 as it cant be unmarried from the VIN.

Anyone else run into any issues like this?

Old 07-03-2019, 09:01 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Slot 0 can flash back the map that was in your ECM before it married to the FP3 how does the bike run with that map - a short ride won't do any damage.
Reason to do this is to check as maybe the new cams are not timed correctly and what you are describing sounds a lot like that is the case.
I know you tripled checked but putting the map from slot 0 back will tell you if it is the FP3
Other than that it practically tells you in the instructions to start with the stock ECM map and maybe you should have gotten that flashed back on at the dealer before using the FP3
**** happens as they say.

The following users liked this post:
Las Vegas Jim (07-10-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 04:34 AM
opd1264
Advanced

**** does happen that is for sure lol.. I can go back to the original map easy enough and see if the FPA reading changes. The current tune that Mark had me flash runs pretty well. If the cams were out a tooth I would expect low power or other obvious symptoms. Its a pain in the *** to pull the cam chest cover off again but just for piece of mind I may just do that.

Originally Posted by scotty3
Slot 0 can flash back the map that was in your ECM before it married to the FP3 how does the bike run with that map - a short ride won't do any damage.
Reason to do this is to check as maybe the new cams are not timed correctly and what you are describing sounds a lot like that is the case.
I know you tripled checked but putting the map from slot 0 back will tell you if it is the FP3
Other than that it practically tells you in the instructions to start with the stock ECM map and maybe you should have gotten that flashed back on at the dealer before using the FP3
**** happens as they say.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:07 AM
scotty3
Road Captain

Originally Posted by opd1264
**** does happen that is for sure lol.. I can go back to the original map easy enough and see if the FPA reading changes. The current tune that Mark had me flash runs pretty well. If the cams were out a tooth I would expect low power or other obvious symptoms. Its a pain in the *** to pull the cam chest cover off again but just for piece of mind I may just do that.
I had a bike here that actually was ridden for 6 months and it ran well but was never quite right.........good as it was tuned well but just felt funny according to the owner.
Last ditch attempt we pulled the exhaust and cam cover and the front cam was one tooth advanced.
When I put it back together we had to do a re-tune as the whole tune was wrong and that bike is still running well and that was 2009.
Also NO I did not put the cams in. but I know the indy shop that did.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:15 AM
opd1264
Advanced

I had a bike here that actually was ridden for 6 months and it ran well but was never quite right.........good as it was tuned well but just felt funny according to the owner.
Last ditch attempt we pulled the exhaust and cam cover and the front cam was one tooth advanced.
When I put it back together we had to do a re-tune as the whole tune was wrong and that bike is still running well and that was 2009.
Also NO I did not put the cams in. but I know the indy shop that did.
Thanks Scotty Now my ADD has kicked in, heading to the garage to pull it down and check it again. What else would I do on the 4th of July LOL . I actually hope that it is out, at least I will know why the tune is screwed up. It will be easy enough to check align the punch marks and pull the sprockets off, if the shafts are out of time it should be pretty obvious.

Last edited by opd1264; 07-04-2019 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:20 AM
scotty3
Road Captain

Originally Posted by opd1264
Thanks Scotty Now my ADD has kicked in, heading to the garage to pull it down and check it again. What else would I do on the 4th of July LOL . I actually hope that it is out, at least I will know why the tune is screwed up. It will be easy enough to check align the punch marks and pull the sprockets off, if the shafts are out of time it should be pretty obvious.
His map was 50 at idle and 35 when we fixed the cam timing so I would look for peace of mind.
Enjoy your 4th July I am from Australia and ours is 26th January Australia Day which is around the middle of our summer..

Old 07-04-2019, 06:52 AM
opd1264
Advanced

His map was 50 at idle and 35 when we fixed the cam timing so I would look for peace of mind.
Enjoy your 4th July I am from Australia and ours is 26th January Australia Day which is around the middle of our summer..
Thanks !! I was wondering why I got a reply so early in the morning over here. Almost torn down and will start again after checking, it sounds like I might be one out

Old 07-04-2019, 07:30 AM
opd1264
Advanced

So the cams are timed to each other.
So this is the cams, I made sure when I put the chain on the dots on the sprockets were aligned. This also aligns the dots on the end of the shafts. So if I put it all back together and make sure the cam sprocket and crank sprocket are properly aligned then I should be good .. Is this correct ?

Old 07-04-2019, 08:33 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,076 Likes on 2,037 Posts

You got it...make sure the dots on the two sprockets are lined up perfectly. There's a notch in each so they can only go on in that location, you may have to rotate the pinion shaft just a bit to keep the dots aligned and get the sprockets on. Be patient and just take you time...better to spend an extra minute or two now than to have to pull it back down later. Good luck and I hope you get out to ride today. Don't know about the weather by you but it's going to be a perfect day by me...going out on the bike soon to enjoy some of the freedom the greatest country in the world has to offer.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:35 AM
opd1264
Advanced

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
You got it...make sure the dots on the two sprockets are lined up perfectly. There's a notch in each so they can only go on in that location, you may have to rotate the pinion shaft just a bit to keep the dots aligned and get the sprockets on. Be patient and just take you time...better to spend an extra minute or two now than to have to pull it back down later. Good luck and I hope you get out to ride today. Don't know about the weather by you but it's going to be a perfect day by me...going out on the bike soon to enjoy some of the freedom the greatest country in the world has to offer.
When I took it apart they were all lined up.. So took it all the way down and started from scratch taking pictures to show I did it right LOL .. I really hope I missed it and it was off a tooth. Just finishing up the pushrods and then put the exhaust back on. If its still not 100% right I will try the MAP sensor.

Quick Reply: V&H FP3 Issues