Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

shovel head timing

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 08:55 AM
breakout18
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shovel head timing

I have a question about "timing" a 1340 1981 FXS.
The bike was purchased running but not well maintained (grease, oil, and some minor rust, as well as paint missing from different areas on the bike)So I tore it down to the frame to repaint and reseal, as I took it apart I took pictures of electrical connections etc (things that I thought would be a challenge to reinstall) All went back together well and looked nice cleaned and painted . but as I was putting the points in and reading how to set them it became clear (i thought ) that this was not as straight forward as setting the points on a car (i am a master ford tech).I set them to spec on the top of the lobe, but when reading the manual it states that the flat side of the breaker cam should be on the side of the alignment pin? If I set it up this way the bike will not start (run) if I turn it around it is very hard to start and runs poorly when it starts .almost every one has suggested electronic ignition,i understand possibly running "better" with electronic ignition but still should run. any constructive help would be appreciated.