Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Reset Married VCI On SEPST

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 09:01 PM
sequel909
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

No worries. I got it covered. If you need any info pm me.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:22 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by 04ctd
fwiw, I don't think the SEPST is worth fooling with. we paid $350 or so for the unit & the cable, its a piece of junk, VERY bulky to use, have to carry a laptop to do ANYTHING.

just buy a Power Vision and be tuning within minutes.
SEPST tuner data logs without a laptop. It's actually a good tool if you know how to use it. Newer programers do more, but it's not junk as you state. Unfortunately many times when when people don't understand something they default to "it's junk".

The following 6 users liked this post by Ed Ramberger:
Br125 (07-23-2019), FLTRI17 (01-23-2022), IdahoHacker (07-26-2019), jbarr1 (07-24-2019), Oz Nightrain (07-23-2019), SteveDotWorld (05-02-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-24-2019, 05:10 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
SEPST tuner data logs without a laptop. It's actually a good tool if you know how to use it. Newer programers do more, but it's not junk as you state. Unfortunately many times when when people don't understand something they default to "it's junk".
i understand it pretty good:
-my laptop won't connect to it (win7, IDK?)
-so I have to take my wife's Laptop away from her to tune with it, all day.
-get laptop out, set up to record, record ~45 minutes on way to work (5 miles in town, 15 miles WOT, 7 miles stopngo)
-pack laptop in soft bag so bike vibration don't kill it.
-get to work, get laptop out, wait on it to boot, pull data, create file, merge data, generate files, overlay files, save file, upload ECM.

after work:
-get laptop out, wait on it to boot, reset VCI to record (after waiting so long in the sun for the wife's laptop to boot, the keys become too hot to touch)
-pack laptop back in soft bag, wedge it in somehow so it don't flop around.
-drive home
-unpack laptop, wait on it to boot, pull data, create file, merge data, generate files, overlay files, save file, upload ECM.

yeah...i think I understand it pretty good

here's what you do with a PowerVision:
-clamp it on handlebars.
-tell it to autotune.
-watch cells populate as you ride, so you KNOW what RPM/load range you need to drive thru.
-hit a few buttons, upload new tune.

very hot day outside? hit a few buttons and richen up the midrange RPM's so you don't bake to death.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:36 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

i understand it pretty good:
-my laptop won't connect to it (win7, IDK?)
-so I have to take my wife's Laptop away from her to tune with it, all day.
-get laptop out, set up to record, record ~45 minutes on way to work (5 miles in town, 15 miles WOT, 7 miles stopngo)
-pack laptop in soft bag so bike vibration don't kill it.
-get to work, get laptop out, wait on it to boot, pull data, create file, merge data, generate files, overlay files, save file, upload ECM.

after work:
-get laptop out, wait on it to boot, reset VCI to record (after waiting so long in the sun for the wife's laptop to boot, the keys become too hot to touch)
-pack laptop back in soft bag, wedge it in somehow so it don't flop around.
-drive home
-unpack laptop, wait on it to boot, pull data, create file, merge data, generate files, overlay files, save file, upload ECM.

yeah...i think I understand it pretty good

here's what you do with a PowerVision:
-clamp it on handlebars.
-tell it to autotune.
-watch cells populate as you ride, so you KNOW what RPM/load range you need to drive thru.
-hit a few buttons, upload new tune.

very hot day outside? hit a few buttons and richen up the midrange RPM's so you don't bake to death.
Why don't you use the SEPST interface to data record? It functions as a data recorder w/o the computer when riding.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 07-24-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:31 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

Why don't you use the SEPST interface to data record? It functions as a data recorder w/o the computer when riding.
yes it does, but you have to lug the laptop around with you to do anything with the data.

some ppl say the SEPST only holds 15 minutes, some say an hour.

so if you want to run an Autotune on any trip you go on (ride to work) and then upload that Autotune, and refine that recording with another Autotune on the way home (gives you two sessions, one in cool of morning, another in blazing heat) you have to have the Laptop, and you have to stand around the parking lot farkling with your laptop, bike, and the SEPST.

with the PowerVison, its so Simple. I have had my PV on several bikes, and when I sell the bike, I ship the PV with it, and let the new owner run Autotunes for a week or so, then they ship the PV back. that allows them to tune for: type of gas in their area, altitude, humidity, riding style, whatever.

you can't do that with a SEPST, so between the lack of functionality (EPA limits) and difficulty operating the interface (physical limits) , that is why i say it's junk.
IDK if it is worth keeping the warranty, to have to deal with it. i have ran two SEPST autotunes that worked so far,
with a PV, i would have ran over a dozen or more (do an autotune on every trip for a week or two)

but, YMMV

Last edited by 04ctd; 07-25-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:53 AM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

you can't do that with a SEPST,
Some people don't get it............. the SEPST is a dinosaur much like the TTS is becoming the PV works and you do it all on the bike including editing, autotune & flashing.
You don't have to go home or carry a laptop to merge the collected data make a new file and flash and that saves you a whole lot of time and it even backs up the stock flash.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:27 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by scotty3
Some people don't get it............. .
LOL well please allow me to give a little perspective before you infer I do not get it. The initial post completely slammed the product saying that a person needs to drag a laptop around to record. We all know that's not true, but here's what you do not know.

Prior to the PowerVision being released by DynoJet, I worked closely with the guys at DynoJet - especially a VP. They approached me wanting HD to release the PV as I ran the EFI Tuning classes and Powertrain classes at HDU. The thought was to label it under HD exclusively. I thought the PV was a massive step forward and was definitely the next step into the future of tuning (remember we are talking over a decade ago). Unfortunately, no matter how I tried to convince him, the category manager who ran Screamin' Eagle wanted to continue with only the SERT and the SEPST. DynoJet launched the PV and I applauded them. Also, I understand it's capabilities and do not deny that it is a more advanced product. In that instance (and many others the public is unaware of) HD missed out.

The following 4 users liked this post by Ed Ramberger:
FLTRI17 (06-26-2022), IdahoHacker (07-26-2019), pgreer (05-09-2023), SteveDotWorld (05-02-2023)
Old 07-26-2019, 07:33 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

LOL well please allow me to give a little perspective before you infer I do not get it. The initial post completely slammed the product saying that a person needs to drag a laptop around to record. We all know that's not true, but here's what you do not know.

Prior to the PowerVision being released by DynoJet, I worked closely with the guys at DynoJet - especially a VP. They approached me wanting HD to release the PV as I ran the EFI Tuning classes and Powertrain classes at HDU. The thought was to label it under HD exclusively. I thought the PV was a massive step forward and was definitely the next step into the future of tuning (remember we are talking over a decade ago). Unfortunately, no matter how I tried to convince him, the category manager who ran Screamin' Eagle wanted to continue with only the SERT and the SEPST. DynoJet launched the PV and I applauded them. Also, I understand it's capabilities and do not deny that it is a more advanced product. In that instance (and many others the public is unaware of) HD missed out.
Excellent post. Thanks!

Old 07-26-2019, 11:03 AM
Br125
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

The "super tuners" (not street) do not have any EPA limitation either.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:30 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=Ed Ramberger;18428625]but here's what you do not know./QUOTE]

You would be surprised what I know Ed.
You sound like another version of Steve Cole I am sorry to say LOL

The following users liked this post:
gmeikle (10-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Reset Married VCI On SEPST