Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

FP map question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 12:43 AM
Siggi Langnasen
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FP map question.

Any advice/expertise will be very much appreciated...

I have a 2006 Fatboy with SE2 slip-ons and an SE high-flow cone filter (it's stamped K&N). I've removed the deflector baffles (there's what looks like fibre-glass packing further up inside each pipe, not messed with that). I have no idea if the stock ECU was tuned. Anyway, not being able to find a specific V&H map from their drop-down menus for this setup I have loaded the one for the Straightshots HS Slip-ons with baffles removed option. It sounds fantastic but it's definitely running rich now and I've lost that 3rd-gear power-rush when I wind the throttle hard. Nothing majorly bad but that and the popping on the over-run etc indicates the map is not perfect. But better rich than too lean.

The local Harley dealer sprayed water onto the bits of the engine (while it was idling) to make sure no leaks that would cause leaning and thus the popping, all good. So the map (I figure) is in the right ball park but could it be better? I know nobody has fully cracked the V&H mode codes, so I don't want to blindly fiddle with those. Just hoping somebody might happen to have the exact same setup as me and a map to suit.

TIA and kind regards from blighty.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:50 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 618 Likes on 425 Posts

Since no two bikes run the same due to the plethora of production and aftermarket variables built into every bike, canned, or other folks’ maps are only hopefully good enough to get it tune properly. Shortcuts to this end will, for sure, cause frustration and time wasted.
Bob

Old 05-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Ask V&H what map to use !!!!!

Old 05-19-2019, 03:11 PM
Siggi Langnasen
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro 54
Ask V&H what map to use !!!!!
I did, they emailed me to ask me to call them. I emailed back to say I can't (in the UK, too expensive) and requested advice via email. I'm waiting for their reply.