Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2015 Harley Forty Eight Fuel Pump Continues To Prime (Diag codes: B2116 & B2117)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 10:01 AM
AMB2710
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Harley Forty Eight Fuel Pump Continues To Prime (Diag codes: B2116 & B2117)

Hi there dudes and dudette's.

Hope your all having a good week.

I'm asking you ladies and gents for a bit of insight into a problem I have with my bike (2015 Harley Forty Eight).

To cut a long story short (No pun intended). My bike wasn't running last year as I had no electric at all. Found the source of doom to be the run switch. I believe moisture had got into the PCB and shorted it out, cremating the board in the process. Got brand new one and fitted. Got all electric back now and all seems good bar one thing.......

Basically when I turn switch to on position, the fuel pump seems to start running as if priming but doesn't seem to cut off for start up. If I hit run the bike will fire up and run perfectly fine. But as soon as I turn it off, it seems to start priming again and is taking ages to cut off.

I ran the onboard diagnostics and seem to be getting 2 codes. One is B2116 (Fuel Pump Output Open) and the other is B2117 (Fuel Pump Output Shorted High).
I can't seem to clear the codes like the others I cleared which are no longer issues. So I take it something is definitely going down here.

Has anybody had this issue before or can point me into the right direction? All I can say is when I did initially connect the battery up again after getting back together. Switch was accidentally in on position. So all came alive but had no fuel in the tank at the time... Would this cause this problem? Do I need to bleed fuel system? Like I say, the bike runs fine as soon as I hit run.

Any help or insight would be very greatly appreciated as I have missed riding my bike for a long time now and would like to get problem sorted ASAP and get it MOT'ed (I live on the Isle of Wight in the UK).

Many thanks.
Aidan

Old 05-14-2019, 10:16 AM
RDHIGH
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like an electrical issue- but that may just be a symptom. I dont work on sportsters lately- but if you have a leak in the pump or return system (is it in the tank like big twins?) It may cause the pump to keep running as its trying to get to its turn off point. Then as the pump runs longer than it should- the ECM sees this as being out of its parameters- so it sets a code.
If you can do a fuel pressure test to see any anomilies- then inspect the pump and return lines for leakage- that may be a good place to start.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:01 PM
AMB2710
Stage II

Cheers for the reply RDHIGH.

Thata helpful to know. I was thinking about fuel pressure issues but I didn't think it would be the case as the bike has only done 6000 miles. Definitely worth a check though. Will go down this route. I really want to know if there is a way to bleed the fuel system of any air. Wondering if that might be the cause as I would have thought it drew in air when it had no fuel in it, when it primed the first time. Hmmmm! 🤔

Old 05-14-2019, 02:51 PM
RDHIGH
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 126 Posts

Im interested in the results! Im not really sure if there is a way to bleed it or not. You would figure if there was air in there it would cause some issues when it was running( cutting out- rough running). I wish i could be more help. GOOD LUCK! please keep us posted.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:26 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On a 15 Sportster, I found that I had switched the fuel pump and rear O2 sensor connectors after doing some work on it. I had B2116, B2117, and P0051. With the key off, the pump would run when you pressed a button on the handlebars and the pump ran continuously with the key on. The pump plug is right above the ECM and the O2 sensor plugs in next to the battery. I swapped them back to the correct place, and all is good.

Last edited by Gpsjr10; 01-09-2020 at 10:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Alfredo Arratia (10-11-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 10:09 AM
wrenchrabbit
Stage I
Default Ever figure it out?

Did you ever find the fix? Running into this same issue now. Completely swapped wire harness, crank sensors, fuel pump and oil pressure sensor and nothing. Fuel pump will prime with key off if I hit trip button on hand controls

Old 10-11-2021, 10:45 AM
Alfredo Arratia
Stage I

Solve my problem with your help.

Thanks brother