Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

P2185 hist curr ect sensor high error code

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 08:01 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Default P2185 hist curr ect sensor high error code

On my 2016 Road Glide, I installed Rinehart true dual exhaust a few months ago. Two weeks ago I installed a Power Vision and Arlen Ness Clear Sucker AC. I used the closest base tune from DynoJet (high flow AF and Rinehart slimline duals) and overall runs well, but the engine light came on. The error code showing on the PV is what's in the title. I tried to clear it out but the keeps coming back.

This past weekend I attached the PV and tried the autotune option, took it out for an hour or so with different types of riding (freeway and city traffic), assigned that map and am still getting the same error code (and engine light). When I get home this weekend I'll go for another spin and see.

Doing a trusted Google search - it has something to do with the engine coolant? When I was researching it that night after my ride i was also packing for my trip (I travel almost every week) so forgot to check the oil level - I'll do that this weekend when I get home.

Any suggestions? I'm obviously new to the PV and how to program it (I put a PCIII on my 05 EGS and that went pretty smooth (Thunderheader and AN Big Sucker), but the standard map seemed to work fine). I loaded it on my laptop but there are so many options I wasn't sure where to begin.

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2019, 03:30 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

throwing out some generic stuff
working on the machine did you disturb the wiring to the sensor.
1. bad sensor/out of range resistance/shorted
2.open ground wire on the sensor
3.short in 5vdc supply between sensor and ecm
4.ecm issues

some codes cannot be erased with a reader, must use a scan tool/programmer. these codes will usually erase themselves after so many restarts without issue.
reach out to mr. maxheadflow or mr. grbrown as they are electronic experience with hd systems, i ride gravity, it never fails.

The following users liked this post:
Cryptoboy (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 07:35 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

When a typical 2 wire temp sensor circuit is open, it goes high to the 5V reference. You have an open in one of the two wires, a bad connection or a defective sensor. The short is possible but least likely.

This is assuming it is not a PV glitch. Load your stock tune and see if it goes away - that will tell you.

If it's happening right away, obviously the bike is not too hot.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 03-12-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Cryptoboy (03-12-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 06:06 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
When a typical 2 wire temp sensor circuit is open, it goes high to the 5V reference. You have an open in one of the two wires, a bad connection or a defective sensor. The short is possible but least likely.

This is assuming it is not a PV glitch. Load your stock tune and see if it goes away - that will tell you.

If it's happening right away, obviously the bike is not too hot.
It seems to be a PV glitch - I loaded up the stock map, restarting and the engine light went away.

I'm going to cross my fingers, try the auto tune and see how that works.

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2019, 06:36 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
It seems to be a PV glitch - I loaded up the stock map, restarting and the engine light went away.

I'm going to cross my fingers, try the auto tune and see how that works.

Thanks!
You’re welcome! Thanks for following up!

Old 05-27-2019, 07:57 PM
Don Birmingham
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did you make out with the auto tune? . . . i am having the same problem with my 2015 streetglide with the power vision

Old 05-28-2019, 10:05 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Don Birmingham
how did you make out with the auto tune? . . . i am having the same problem with my 2015 streetglide with the power vision
i went back to the stock tune. Then started the auto tune and rode for awhile and loaded that up. Been good ever since.

My mistake was trying to auto tune from the pre created map.

hope that helps.

Last edited by Cryptoboy; 05-28-2019 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Can’t spell.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:40 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

Very common experience using canned maps, especially non OEM (calibrated Injectors) calibrations made from public vehicles which are not anywhere near the same causing variables in fueling and timing. Once performance starts going up the engine requires more precise fueling and ignition timing. This is why recalibration (tuning) makes such a dramatic difference.
The above said, street tuning can produce a pretty good running bike, as long as strict tuning guidelines are met to get to, and spend enough time for the system to learn throughout ALL possible running conditions.
Bob

Last edited by FLTRI17; 05-29-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:33 AM
The Rugged Archeologist
Stage I
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default P2185 Code:

Hello Everyone,

I work as a technician with PV and can provide a very easy solution for this. If you are getting the Code P2185 ECT Open/High, it is because you are using the wrong tune. If you have an air/oil cooled bike, you have no ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor. Using a code for the Twin Cooled, Rushmore bikes means that the tune thinks you have an ECT sensor when you don't, and it throws that code. If you need the appropriate tune for an air cooled bike, use the tunes that have a lower case "a" in the middle, after the engine size.
e.g.- 15T103a02301 instead of 15T103002301

The following 3 users liked this post by The Rugged Archeologist:
1 2 many (04-29-2024), smitty901 (11-06-2022), srhen (10-10-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 12:29 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rugged Archeologist
Hello Everyone,

I work as a technician with PV and can provide a very easy solution for this. If you are getting the Code P2185 ECT Open/High, it is because you are using the wrong tune. If you have an air/oil cooled bike, you have no ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor. Using a code for the Twin Cooled, Rushmore bikes means that the tune thinks you have an ECT sensor when you don't, and it throws that code. If you need the appropriate tune for an air cooled bike, use the tunes that have a lower case "a" in the middle, after the engine size.
e.g.- 15T103a02301 instead of 15T103002301
A quality tuning system will not allow the incorrect calibration to be installed to begin with.
As always, just my experiences,
Bob

jbarr1 (04-20-2021)

Quick Reply: P2185 hist curr ect sensor high error code