Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PC-V in closed loop mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 11:59 PM
65Tiger
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default PC-V in closed loop mode

In buying a tuner for my Ducati I learned that the Dynojet Power Commander V will not adjust the map in the closed loop mode. From Dynojet tech support on the Ducati:

Yes. Your bike has a closed-loop fuel injection system. Your bike model specifically goes into closed-loop at 0%-20% throttle up to 5750 RPM.
You should not try to tune that area of your Power Commander's map.
Your Target AFR table for Auto-tune should have a target value of zero (0) specified in that range of the map.

Upon further questioning DJ tech support, it is clear that the PC-V will not remap the closed loop portion
I bought a Rapid Bike Evo tuner for the Ducati

My 07 Sportster also has a closed loop system and a PC-V fitted by the previous Owner.
What RPM and throttle position is closed loop for the Sportster?

Is there a work around to use the PC-V to remap the closed loop portion of the map?
I do not think the map is optional and thinking of buying the Dnyojet Autotune module. This is my preference as I already own the PC-V but if the Autotune cannot remap the closed loop portion of the map I see little point in continuing with the PC-V

If the Harley stock was unlocked it would seem that the PC-V would then be able to remap the entire RPN and throttle position range - correct?
If so who can do this?

Last edited by 65Tiger; 02-16-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:12 PM
FREDStr33tbob
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you leave the stock o2 sensors in then there is no work around. I tried to use the stock o2 sensors on DJ’s recomndation and the bike ran like ****. I say buy the auto tune. Tune the bike then run it in open loop. You will have better results then letting the PCV and ECU try to work together. In my experience it didn’t work. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-d...-together.html. This is my thread about it. Hope it helps a little at least

Old 02-23-2019, 10:09 AM
65Tiger
Tourer

From DJ tech support on the Sportster:

If the stock O2 sensors have been removed, then the stock closed loop range at that point would be non-existent. The bike's ECM would always be in open loop.

Normally the stock closed loop range of a 2007 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 would be 0% - 40% throttle up to 4500 RPM.

If the stock O2 sensors were actively working, you would NOT adjust the stock closed-loop area of your Power Commander's map. If the stock O2 sensors have been successfully disabled, you should be able to tune everywhere in the Power Commander map.

So the workaround seems to be remove the stock narrow band sensors, install the PC-V with Autotune and modify the entire map.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:22 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

Since it’s known sportys come with crappy factory fueling mapping in especially the lower rpms so the bikes typically surge, The best resolve is to take it to a tuner so he can remove the power commander and resinstall the factory O2s. Then he can tune it properly and address the open/closed loop areas for smoothest running which also equates to more power with better throttle response.
Believe me, its all in the tune (calibration) so tuning (recalibration) shortcuts (addons) seldom fix the problems...or if it does, it costs fuel in mileage (30-35mpg vs 45mpg) because the street tuner will fix hesitations and surging by adding fuel. Problem is...knowing exactly where and how much so it’s typical to guess at areas rather than pinpointed cell correction.
Hope this helps,
Bob

Old 02-23-2019, 09:52 PM
65Tiger
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
Since it’s known sportys come with crappy factory fueling mapping in especially the lower rpms so the bikes typically surge, The best resolve is to take it to a tuner so he can remove the power commander and resinstall the factory O2s. Then he can tune it properly and address the open/closed loop areas for smoothest running which also equates to more power with better throttle response.
Believe me, its all in the tune (calibration) so tuning (recalibration) shortcuts (addons) seldom fix the problems...or if it does, it costs fuel in mileage (30-35mpg vs 45mpg) because the street tuner will fix hesitations and surging by adding fuel. Problem is...knowing exactly where and how much so it’s typical to guess at areas rather than pinpointed cell correction.
Hope this helps,
Bob
All bikes have poor fueling in the closed loop mode as that is where the factory is striving for emissions rather than performance.
I do not give a toss about fuel mileage.......
Your method only works if you have a dyno near you and someone that knows how to work it and tune a bike
I am not so lucky, so an Autotune is my only option

I have used DJ Autotune before and it works quite well. Not perfect perhaps and maybe a good tuner could do better, but pretty good. Plus every time you change something you can Autotune easily enough

Old 02-24-2019, 04:32 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 796 Likes on 619 Posts

you have 2 options to get the best results. get the o2 eliminators that plug into the harness, this will keep the bike in open loop, then tune the whole map, second choice is to get rid of the PCV and get a flash tuner, either the DJ powervision or the TTS Mastertune, with one of these units you have control of the open and closed loop conditions and CAN use the factory o2 sensors and properly tune all areas that are in need, with a little study and time invested.
m
ps, a pro tune is also recommended.

Last edited by marcodarq; 02-24-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:59 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

If you intend to use a “full time” closed loop system you must not use open free-flowing exhaust as it will allow air to be reverted back into the pipe polluting sampled O2 in the exhaust which tells the system it’s lean so it richens the fueling, sometimes until black smoke comes from the exhaust and fuel mileage goes into the dumper.
Bob