Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIII New firmware observation

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:10 PM
jeff194
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII New firmware observation

I did the 2.2 firmware upgrade on my 07 UC. I did not have any hesitation or pinging issues, just the slow start. Initially I thought the bike started a little sooner, but now after living with it for awhlie, found that it takes at least 4-5 revs to start. With the 2.1 firmware it used to start on the third rev. The bike also seems to run ritcher. At idle I can smell the exhaust alot more that the 2.1 FW. Other than that it runs great. Dynojet tells me that this is a beta version FW, but should improve overall performance. I am going to 0 the first colum on my map to see if this helps, as I have mostly10's in there now on a custom map. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Old 07-05-2007, 07:34 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: PCIII New firmware observation

This is the response I got from Dynojet when I asked if I should install the firmware upgrade.
Steve,[/align][/align]The newer firmware is for a bike specific issue that some customers had on their 07's, with an off idle stumble that could not be tuned out. There was an extremely small number of customers who had reported this issue and the 2.2 firmware addresses it for them. If your bike does not exhibit that symptom there is no need to update. There are thousands of 07 HD touring model with power commanders that don't exhibit the symptom. I would not do any updates if the bike is running well.[/align][/align]Regards,[/align][/align]
Stan Lass[/b]
Dynojet Research Inc[/b]
Technical Support[/b]
800.992.4993 x1116[/b][/align]

Old 07-05-2007, 08:41 PM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 77 Likes on 49 Posts

They need to fix the stinkin' slow starting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2007, 11:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: gabhart

They need to fix the stinkin' slow starting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just start it before the check-engine light goes out.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:52 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solution to slow starting = Harley Davidson triple platinum spark plugs.

No codes or problems after 13,000+ miles.

My '05 Ultra had that issue - hated it - now it starts instantly - before I can even release the button - hot or cold

[IMG]local://upfiles/5166/5D8D655BB6E64EA5BBC9F5EC35831D98.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The slow starting is evidently because the Delphi ECM pinouts on the main connector have changed for '07 and instead of powering the PC with steady +12VDC as historically been the case, the unit now is powered on the fuel pump circuit. I don't know why they couldn't change the pinout and make '07 (and up?) specific units but for the fact that would necessitate twice the Harley part numbers. That is perhaps a bit unreasonable to ask of them, especially when everything still works as-is. Just start the bike while the fuel pump is still whirring or crank a couple extra revs until it starts to whir again. No big deal for me either way. It's no TM/AT, but for the money I'm way more than happy.

Wait. I'd rather they did make '07-and-up-specific units. They should fix the wiring in the main connector while incorporating the O2 eliminators there as well. Then there would be no complaints of slow starting and we could all leave the sensors connected to the harness to keep everything clean in the connectors for future possible use.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:58 PM
harleymojoman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: gabhart

Just start it before the check-engine light goes out.
He's right, If you crank it immediately after turning key on (before check engine light goes out) it will fire right up!