Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Evo sportster no spark - ran rough before

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 11:59 PM
MotoOwner
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back at it tonight.
double checked the BaS plug was getting power to grey, green/white, and black was grounding. All checked out.
Removed the modded BaS and confirmed my prongs were going to the correct wires an had continuity. Checked out.
Checked voltage at pink coil wire. 11.x on, just under 9v when cranking.
swapped with the best and newest battery I have... A cheap $30 agm from eBay. Voltage was still low, but apparently high enough for the bike to start!
i need to order a new battery apparently.
Was considering modding the headlight switch and speedo to save on battery juice and CcA, but probably not worth it

Old 02-02-2019, 01:45 AM
MotoOwner
Intermediate

​​opened the headlight and disconnected the high beam.
Gained 1 volt with key on, and bike fired up and idled at 14.4v.
Idled for 30sec on enricher, then I turned it off and it idled okay on it's own. Slight popping but nothing bad. I'll back out the IMS maybe 1/4 turn. Idled maybe 2min. Hopped on to drive and it stalled. Couldn't get it started back up and couldn't get spark.
Coil Power at the pink wire was just over 9v when cranking. 11.3v at rest. Battery is 12.3v at rest.

The coil primary and secondary resistance numbers checked out... So I'm pretty sure it's battery related. Will update if something changes

Old 02-03-2019, 01:44 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

battery is crapola. to work well, cranking voltage needs to be 10 and up. recharge and test.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:36 PM
MotoOwner
Intermediate

Thanks for the info.

I charged the battery up this weekend, hooked it up to some lights to drain it for a bit, then charged it up again. Unplugged from the charger it read 13.1v, but ultimately dropped to about 12.6v.

Ideally how much voltage loss should there be between the pos terminal and the white/black coil wire? Currently I think there's 1.0v drop between the two with the ignition key on but not the starter motor. Not sure if that's normal, or should the voltage reading at the battery positive terminal match the white/black coil wire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustert
battery is crapola. to work well, cranking voltage needs to be 10 and up. recharge and test.

Last edited by MotoOwner; 02-03-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:42 PM
MotoOwner
Intermediate

Well, I hooked up the good battery today and no spark. Hadn't touched it since last post, except to secure the tank and coils from when I pulled it apart.
Maybe I knocked something loose but maybe I'm just going to replace the ignition control module and coil and hope that solves it. I'm taking recommendations if anyone has any

Old 02-24-2019, 12:24 AM
MotoOwner
Intermediate

Been back and forth about which if module to get or whether to go to points. Went out to the bike today to jiggle wires and check voltage.
Same battery setup.
12.05v at white black coil wire
nothing at pink (disconnected from coil when turning engine over)

underneath the bike I checked the connector going to the if module. Both white/black and pink wires (on the harness side) had like 11.5v

checked the BAS mod was still good. It was.

Checked the the carb and it looked secure. I noticed the accel pump wasn't pumping anything. Hmmm. Something up with the petcock.

Packed it it up and moved on.

Went back out tonight and shoved my hand between the tank and top of carb and pushed down hard on the vacuum line to the voes and petcock(at the carb). After a few cranks it fired up and I just got back from a quick spin around the block!

will try and take it out tomorrow for a logger ride and will report back.

Does the ignition module in the nose cone need better ventilation to prevent overheating or anything?

Old 03-30-2019, 09:58 PM
MotoOwner
Intermediate

Went with ultima ignition and coil. Problem solved.