Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Used bike purchase with TTS locked ECM

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:30 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,565 Likes on 1,811 Posts

The Blue VCI does indeed store the .MTE file, and the last map flashed through that VCI.
The MTE file is an extracted mirror image of whatever was in the ECM when first attached.
The last map through should be the .MT9 stage 1 map, easily adjusted for any change you wish to make, and tunable by any competent dyno shop
I would buy cables ( and send the FP back) and learn how to use Flight Recorder & V-tune. This does require something other than your phone, but much better results

The following users liked this post:
hrdtail78 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 09:47 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

The question is why? You have the best tuner on the market why replace it with one of the worst? A dyno tuned bike doesnt need a phone app just needs to be ridden.

Old 01-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Hilly13
Cruiser
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Man you lucked out, now you have the vci you can tune that bike to perfection, mastertune is a bit of a learning curve but it's top of the pile.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:55 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,688 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpatrosso

the VCI has the capabilities of storing the files? I have not come across this info of it being able to do that. I thought all the files were stored on the laptop or computer that it was hooked up to during tuning. This would be a great thing.
The VCI stores both the original file that was in the ECM and the last tune that was installed on the bike. Now that I have said that, depending on when it was tuned there maynot be a original file stored in the VCI. Our original software (2012- 2013) had it so the user had the choice to store or not, as this what people had asked for, later on we changed the software to do it automatically. As for locking the ECM one needs to understand ALL HD Delphi ECM's are locked from the factory, this is how they are made. Just the same as you home has a lock on the front door, its up to you to give the key to unlock the door.

Now if you do not have the original file from the ECM you can use the Emergency Unlock feature from our Website to remove the programming with the VCI. For the record we are not the only company that changes the lock on the ECM's too.

The following users liked this post:
Jpatrosso (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Jpatrosso
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for delay in an update for those interested...

first off, thanks Steve for your help thru here and email. As I updated last week, I was able to get the VCI from the original owner. I took the bike to a local dealership and had them plug it in and the files were there! They were then able to reset to the stock map and unlock. From there I was able to load my FP3 and was all good. Nothing against TTS, but I have always had great results using the more standard FP3 tuner on my Harley’s. Bike is currently just a stage 1 with exhaust and hf intake. I’m going to obviously hold onto the TTS tuner and maybe in the future if I do some bigger engine upgrades, I will look into turning towards the TTS.

cheers everyone. Thanks for the help!