Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

dyno tune changed bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Larryc5079
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno tune changed bike

I recently had my '06 Superglide dyno tuned because it was doing alot of popping & cracking upon decelration. I bought it used a couple monthes ago. It ran very strong, but the popping & cracking says something ain't right. The popping & cracking is 95% gone, but the seat-of-the-pants acceleration suffered some. According to the dyno sheet, I gained a little hp and torque, it just doesn't feel like it to me. The air/fuel mixture is nearly a straight line and they talked me into getting torque cones. I will be loading the software for the PC III on a laptop and I did get a cd of the setup from the dyno place.

Any ideas on what to change to minimize the popping & cracking, but give me back the performance it had?

Thanks,
Larry

Old 07-06-2007, 05:59 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Default RE: dyno tune changed bike

Take it back to the guys that did the dyno and have them take out the popping on decel for no charge.

I would guess that you are noticing a change in the torque curve and the max. power range has moved from what you had become used to. It isn't likely that the hp increased on the chart without an increase in overall performance. If you look at the before and after chart, has your torque curve moved to the right for example? Also look at the relation of the torque to hp curves and see if that has change radically. If so, you can ask them to tweak that a little more to your liking also.

Finally, make sure that you are dealing with an authorized dyno shop... you can find out if they are by going to dynojet's web site.

C#

Old 07-06-2007, 07:00 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with cwsharp. I have also found that tuners that use tuning link do a better job than those who play it by ear. The tuning link software can make a bad tuner average and an average tuner good and a great tuner fantastic. With a PC, there should not be any popping and you should get what you paid for.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:17 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've learned many years ago not totrust my butt dyno for evaluating changes in performance. Often I would make a change, test, and then could not wait to getback to the track to clean house but I actually went slower according to the clocks and competitionand vice versa, the butt lies. I am confident that, when Imade my living dyno tuning cars, I could build a power curve that could foolalmost anyone intopercievingthat it was faster or slower then it actually wasif they went by feel only. If we really smooth out a previously ragged power curve, it often feels slower because you no longer feel the various surges in power.For some wehadto tune so it justfelt good unless the customer was into performance andused amore scientific method of judging overall performance. Often you have to give the customer what they percieve is better rather then what actually is to make them happy.