Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 02:52 AM
everettguy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help!

Hey everyone I’m new to the forum and I’ve never been a member of one but thought I would give it a try.
So I have a 2007 Harley street bob. I was waiting in line for a ferry. I turned the ignition on and had everything turn on like normal. Then I turned it back off after I saw more cars coming off. Then we were directed to start our bikes. I turn the ignition and nothing! After way too long of checking fuses and everything we could think of the bike was towed home.
When I went to remove my ignition the second I touched it with pliers the bike turned on. So I ordered a new ignition. But for some reason the new ignition and now the old one only works if I switch the r/black and the r/grey.... but even when I wire it incorrectly the bike will turn on ( headlights and all lights. Even the fuel pump kicks on) but when I click start I hear one click and then nothing. It all cuts out, noting is on anymore. After a few minutes the bike will do it all over again. But if I wire the ignition properly I get nothing....? Any ideas? So far I have replaced the ignition. Replaced both relays. Checked all fuses in the fuse box. Checked my battery. (Fully charged it and let it sit for 24 hours and was still at 13.5ish) I have also checked my battery connections and ground to the frame... I’m out of ideas. Any one have any idea? Thanks guys.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:44 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

have you checked the termination at the starter?
have you checked harness ground points?
blowing any fuses?
checked fuse sockets including maxi?
seems there is a common point for both circuits in the right control, maybe a unwanted connecting of the two (unlikely) .

Old 11-14-2018, 03:48 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 466 Likes on 356 Posts

how old is the battery. grab a digital voltage meter and check the battery voltage while attempting to start it.