Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

sreain Eagle Race Tuner vs Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:35 PM
Kopazzz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sreain Eagle Race Tuner vs Power Commander

Just being inquisitive here: can someone please explain the difference between a Screamin Eagle race tuner (which I used for my 04 Road King) verses a Power Commander or any of these modern tuners you regularly hear about today.
Thanks in advance.
- Kopazzz

Old 10-21-2018, 02:37 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

The GUI.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:26 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

As I understand it, the SERT is a flash tuner, which means you connect it to your ECM, make your adjustments which are then stored in your ECM, then disconnect it. The Power Commander is a piggyback system which means it gets permanently inserted in the harness between your ECM and your engine's EFI & ignition systems.

The following users liked this post:
Kopazzz (10-24-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 02:35 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

The Power Vision and the FP3 will reprogram the fuel maps in the ECM as well. SERT is made specifically for HD to be sold as HD products and is supported by HD whereas the PV, PC and the FP3 are unsupported by HD and a lot of shops will scold you for using them.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:21 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 795 Likes on 618 Posts

the full access screamin eagle product is longer available, the SERT. the product is now the SE Pro STreet Tuner. it does not have full access, there are sections that are locked out by EPA mandates.
if you want a full access tuner, you need the TTS MasterTune or a Powervision. these units allow for programming of almost if not all functions in the ecu, fueling, timing, warm up, rev limit, knock control, etc. Flash tuning is the current and way of the future, but takes a while to learn how to do and requires data logging equipment or a dyno and lots of knowledge.
m

Old 10-29-2018, 05:21 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 445 Likes on 320 Posts

The Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner is still available in foreign countries, the EPA mandate only affects North America, so you can import one, and Harley still does software support for them.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:07 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 618 Likes on 425 Posts

Not quite clear why someone would OPT to buy something that is no longer sold here, has absolutely NO customer support, and is not preferred by anyone who has used a TTS Masterune...which has excellent customer service, with great tuning outcomes from a software package that has been developed and updated to get the best tune from a given bike and it’s build.
Power Vision is also a viable option.
Bob

jbarr1 (10-30-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 01:09 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Kopazzz
Just being inquisitive here: can someone please explain the difference between a Screamin Eagle race tuner (which I used for my 04 Road King) verses a Power Commander or any of these modern tuners you regularly hear about today.
Thanks in advance.
- Kopazzz
SE ProRace Tuner requires about 8 hours of dyno time .
I was there when mine was on the dyno and tuned.
It was/is an all day event.
PCV can be done in as little as an hour.
Been there and done that too.
Rob

Old 10-31-2018, 05:26 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 306 Likes on 211 Posts

That’s a stretch for each of them. Sepst shouldn’t take that long and a PC should take longer IMO. I’ve done hundreds of both.

Slingshot383 (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 01:25 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 618 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by jbarr1
That’s a stretch for each of them. Sepst shouldn’t take that long and a PC should take longer IMO. I’ve done hundreds of both.
+1
A couple things that affect time to tune..
1 Does the tuner have a base tune for the combo on the dyno?
2 Does the tuner have enough time and experience with the system to be efficient?
3 Does the tuner have a proper dyno cell that keeps temperature stable?

That said a stage 1 tune for a SERT shouldn’t take more than an hour with a proper base map.
The same goes for the Power Commander.

And all that said... It’s not the total time to get to a properly tuned bike, it’s how close the base mapping is to begin with.
No base map for the build? Plan on 3-4 hrs to develop one.

Bob

Quick Reply: sreain Eagle Race Tuner vs Power Commander