Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIII mapping vs year model

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default PCIII mapping vs year model

I am running the PCIII and had been using the map from Jamie that he made for my setup. Bike ran ok, temps good, mileage ave about 40. It was kinda flat though, no real excitement, but runs ok. I decided to take a look at map options on the Power Commander site today. I found one, map# 805-135 that looked close to my setup. Its for SuperTrapp mean mother pipes though....and Im running SE16ga, although they look a lot alike. Anyway, like I said, close to my setup. I loaded the map, and d@mn, this thing took off!!! Took about a 30 mile interstate ride....pulling like its on fire. Temps still running around 225/230, so that seems good. I did note a drop in mileage, but not a lot.
My question is, the map is for a different year model than my bike. Does anyone know, does that make a difference? The only thing closer IS for an 06 like mine but its for the stock ECM and Im running the stage 1.
Any advice is much appreciated.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:53 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: PCIII mapping vs year model

ORIGINAL: coolrays615

I am running the PCIII and had been using the map from Jamie that he made for my setup. Bike ran ok, temps good, mileage ave about 40. It was kinda flat though, no real excitement, but runs ok. I decided to take a look at map options on the Power Commander site today. I found one, map# 805-135 that looked close to my setup. Its for SuperTrapp mean mother pipes though....and Im running SE16ga, although they look a lot alike. Anyway, like I said, close to my setup. I loaded the map, and d@mn, this thing took off!!! Took about a 30 mile interstate ride....pulling like its on fire. Temps still running around 225/230, so that seems good. I did note a drop in mileage, but not a lot.
My question is, the map is for a different year model than my bike. Does anyone know, does that make a difference? The only thing closer IS for an 06 like mine but its for the stock ECM and Im running the stage 1.
Did Jamie know you had already performed a Stage 1 download on your bike prior to installing the PCIII map? The Stage 1 will enrichen the mixture from the EFI, not a lot since it must adhere to EPA requirements, but the PCIII will enrichen it even more. This is just speculation, but what you may have is an over-rich condition on your original map, then the canned map for another muffler type brought it to life by being correctly programmed around the Stage 1 download. What's perplexing about this hypothesis is the drop in mileage going to the second map, which doesn't make much sense to me. Did you notice a difference in oil temp? For my money 225-230° temps are too high while moving above 45 mph, but not especially so if stuck in stop-and-go traffic in very hot weather, except probably on a stone-stock bike. Do you have an oil cooler?

It'd be interesting to compare maps, so why not post a JPG of your first map. The second is available for downloading from PC, and appears to not have the accelerator-pump option enabled. Did the first?

Old 07-01-2007, 01:02 AM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks iclick..........figured you would have a reply. I will post the map and you can take a look, have to download it from my laptop to my pc. I did tell Jamie about the stage 1 download when I ordered.
I dont think the mileage drop was much, but enough to notice. As for the temps...the oil temp was running about the same as it was with the map Jamie loaded. I was running the map from Jamie without the pump option, its installed now.
I will post the map and maybe you can tell me what you think.
Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:58 PM
ballgeier
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always wondered the same thing. I sent Dynojet an email asking if there was any difference between an '02 and an '06 for mapping purposes and their reply was no. All of the '06 maps are for stock ECM's and mine has the stage 1 download. I too have been trying different maps with different pipes than what I have. Some give greater performance, but I lose MPG's. I am trying to find a "happy" medium. The only thing is that most of the maps require me to up the % in the 1st column to avoid the decel popping.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:00 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

The map you received from the PC site (805-135) is much richer, especially at full-throttle, than the map provided by Fuel Moto (from your PM). I'm not sure why the bike runs better with the PC map, as Jamie's maps are based primarily on performance and cooling, not gas mileage, so I'm surprised his map isn't near optimum for your bike. Your Fuel Moto map looks similar to mine, and I find the performance of my SG excellent (for a stocker). It might be interesting to experiment and add some fuel to full throttle to see what it'd do for my bike.

If I were you I would put the values from 0-20% TP up to 3k RPM back to the Fuel Moto specs, then set 5-10% TP @ 2k-3k RPM to 1/3 of those original values. Do the same to 2-20% TP and 1k-2k RPM. All this will help with gas mileage but will add heat, so if you're running above about 210° while moving, and more than 230° in traffic, you might want to reconsider, or add an oil cooler (which you should do anyway). For me, all this is a balancing act between gas mileage and heat, and since I haven't messed with the values beyond 20% my performance isn't altered. Be careful leaning 20% and above, as if you go too far you will feel a flat spot. I wouldn't lean more than 2/3 the original values at 20% and would leave 40% and above alone.

I would say that if you are getting better full-throttle performance with the PC map, use it from 40% TP and above. You could then insert the Fuel Moto map from that point and below, and tweak it even further as mentioned above. Then you can have your cake and eat it too.

This has worked for me, but all bikes are different, so be sure to save your maps as you go, especially the original. Don't save over an older map (with the same filename) or you'll lose it.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ballgeier

I always wondered the same thing. I sent Dynojet an email asking if there was any difference between an '02 and an '06 for mapping purposes and their reply was no. All of the '06 maps are for stock ECM's and mine has the stage 1 download. I too have been trying different maps with different pipes than what I have. Some give greater performance, but I lose MPG's. I am trying to find a "happy" medium. The only thing is that most of the maps require me to up the % in the 1st column to avoid the decel popping.
If you like the full-throttle performance of one map, use the values for 40% TP and above, then insert TP's below than from the map that gives better gas mileage. That will give the best of both worlds and mileage will improve, the amount depending on how much you twist the wrist. Keep all 0% values at "0", seal the muffler/pipe joint with anti-sieze or high-heat sealer (e.g., copper) and tighten well. Jamie at Fuel Moto says the decel popping is from air leaking into the muffler.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:42 PM
ballgeier
Intermediate

"seal the muffler/pipe joint with anti-sieze or high-heat sealer (e.g., copper) and tighten well. Jamie at Fuel Moto says the decel popping is from air leaking into the muffler."

That is what I have been thinking, I looked at the connection of my mufflers, and on one side there was a "little" soot on the pipe. I tightened the clamp. Will putting anti-sieze on it make it smoke? I did put a little on the muffler clamp bolt, and it smoked next time it got hot.(of course, I did use the nickel bearing anti-sieze instead of the copper, but I just bought a can of the copper for my work truck)

Old 07-03-2007, 08:44 AM
LeeFLHX
Advanced

iclick,

Been reading all the posts I can on the EFI options out there and decided on the PCIII. Place my order yesterday with fuel moto.

Once installed, bike will have Rush 2" slip-ons, K&N, and the PCIII. Looking at going true dual in the near future with one of the limited options that include both O2 sensor bungs to enable a return to stock config should I need to.

Anyway, Jamie will be loading a map based on the above setup. What I was wondering was if you could use the email reply option and send me your base/original map and your current one. Not that I want to use it but rather I want to see how you have tweaked it if at all to further my present limited understanding of the unit in actual operation.

Appreciate your time.

LeeFLHX

Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 AM
LeeFLHX
Advanced

iclick,

Regarding my other post. My ECM is stock as I only had the slipons from the dealer.

Also, thanks for the info on the muffler connection as well as the TP setting in this and other threads.

LeeFLHX

Old 07-03-2007, 05:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: LeeFLHX

iclick,

Been reading all the posts I can on the EFI options out there and decided on the PCIII. Place my order yesterday with fuel moto.

Once installed, bike will have Rush 2" slip-ons, K&N, and the PCIII. Looking at going true dual in the near future with one of the limited options that include both O2 sensor bungs to enable a return to stock config should I need to.

Anyway, Jamie will be loading a map based on the above setup. What I was wondering was if you could use the email reply option and send me your base/original map and your current one. Not that I want to use it but rather I want to see how you have tweaked it if at all to further my present limited understanding of the unit in actual operation.
Glad to help. Email me so I can reply, as I can't attach files using HDForums' email form.