Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Hands free 'Smart' key fob alarm - help plz!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 12:10 PM
livebeforeidie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hands free 'Smart' key fob alarm - help plz!

Hi there, I have a 07 Dyna Super Glide and I bought the alarm that has the fob without button (hands free fob, they call it). It came with an amazing one page instruction sheet - the only instruction is to refer to the factory service manual. Okay, I refer to the factory service manual and sure enough, it tells me how to install it (although there was not a peep about the motion sensor installation!). So it's installed now, and the service manual goes into great detail about how to marry the remote to the alarm by pressing the fob button once here, twice there, yada yada...and there is not one iota of information about how to marry it to the hands free fob! So at the end of the day, to get an alarm on my bike, I bought the manual, I bought the hands free 'Smart' alarm, I bought the 'Smart' alarm II siren and I bought the pager. $300 or $400 worth of stuff and do you think I can get some help from an instruction sheet or manual? Nope. I call the HD store in search of this 'Electrical Diagnostic' manual that is vaguely referred to in the manual, she tells me I don't need it. I talk to the service guy and he says he doesn't know how to do it, that they are real busy and I can't speak to anyone who does know how to do it - unless of course I bring my bike in to get it done! You might be able to tell I'm a tad ticked off about now...

So here I turn to the real harley people and hope to get some advice or instruction about how to marry the hands free fob to the alarm.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:00 PM
jf
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Hands free 'Smart' key fob alarm - help plz!

I think its some big harley secret when i bought my bike one of the fobs didnt work the dealer would only say that they use some type of scanner like for reading bar-codes that sends the right settings to the fob he was very vague about it i think you will just have to bite the bullet and pay the dealer to get it working for you.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Drexor69
Tourer

I don't think the circuitry is in the remote to replace the FOB...

The FOB is RFID, that is it's a totally passive device.

I don't know how much you know about RFID, if you like I'll try to explain in more detail but I'm not an electrical engineer...

Old 07-01-2007, 08:53 PM
livebeforeidie
Advanced

Hi gents, thanks for your replies!

Drexor, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by passive. I think that means that the remote is only able to receive signals, right? But if that were the case, how would it tell the alarm system that the fob was nearby?

I think that maybe I am supposed to buy a button type fob so I can follow instructions as per the service manual...but still then, how do I get the alarm to realise there is an 'authorised' hands free fob in the vicinity?

I'm super annoyed with mo(fo)co for providing such a high tech device with such low tech instructions. It seems to me that they are saying I shouldn't even begin to mess with something like this. Why even sell the thing to the public if the public are not supposed to install them?

I wrote to Zanotti, where I bought it from (along with a couple of thousand $$$ worth of other gear over the last 18 months); hopefully they can steer me in the right direction (not towards a HD service shop) to get it up and running.

If anyone else would like to chime in, all input is greatly appreciated. And for anyone interested, I'll be posting the instructions on how to solve the problem as soon as I know...

Mike
Texas/Louisiana

Old 07-01-2007, 09:34 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts

I bought the smart alarm last year when I bought the bike I know what you mean about the instruction they suck. I finally conclude that the fob that you buy with the smart alarm is just to warn you if some monkey is messing with your bike. And the alarm it self has a load siren that has a rechargeable battery and that’s it you still have to have you key fob that comes with the bike. I was hoping that when you install the device you would be able to press the button and you would hear a beep to armed the bike and when you press it again you would hear two beeps and the bike disarms

Old 07-02-2007, 02:41 AM
Drexor69
Tourer

The Fob is an RFID device that basically does nothing till it receives a signal on a certain frequency which it derives its power from and all it's capable of doing is responding with a relatively small ammount of information. RFID is most often used in inventory control, it's a relatively simple device as far as things go so it can't really do a lot. Most people would see it being used in stores where security devices are attached to the merchandise to keep it from walking out the door. It's got a relatively short range with the distance depending almost entirely upon the size of the antenna in the Fob.

Here's how it works in this application (as I understand it):
1) You turn on the ignition
2) The HFSM sends out a signal on the RFID frequency ALL Fobs are tuned to
3) The antenna in the Fob picks up the signal which in turn generates enough frequency for it to send out a reply.
4) If it returns the correct code (it's something like a 16 digit hexadecimal number if I remember right) the security system disarms and allows the bike to be started.
5) If it returns an incorrect signal or no signal is returned the system stays armed and you are unable to start the bike.

You can't use the pager without having a Smart Siren I/II which comes with its own antenna so I'd guess that it's only for pager remote. Once the alarm is activated it won't turn off till one of the 2 Fobs the HFSM is programmed to comes within range.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:46 AM
livebeforeidie
Advanced

Drexor, thanks for the info on the RFID aspect! Now I understand a little more about the fobs... Do you know how to marry the hands free fob to the alarm system? I have the Smart Alarm II along with the Siren.

Mike

Old 07-02-2007, 03:03 AM
Drexor69
Tourer

I just followed the instructions that came with the pager, didn't have any trouble as far as I recall...

I don't have those (the instructions) with me at the moment and I'm about to turn in for the night. If you're still having trouble I'll dig out the instructions tomorrow morning and try to walk you through the process.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:25 AM
livebeforeidie
Advanced

Drexor, if you could spare the time to email a scan or digital photo of the instructions that would be very much appreciated! My email address is livebeforeidie@hotmail.com. The instructions I got are as useless as **** on a bull...

Cheers mate,
Mike

Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Drexor69
Tourer

OK...

You wouldn't happen to have a fax number would you? I don't have access to a scanner...

Quick Reply: Hands free 'Smart' key fob alarm - help plz!