Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tech lusion? module......

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 01:30 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tech lusion? module......

Sincecrazy your right and I had the AN Big Sucker to get the air in, fuel mileage still went south and I didnt notice any marked increase in acceleration. Basically I look at it as a relatively inexpensive lesson.

Old 01-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Lars
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only unit I am familiar with is the Power Commander. The nice thing about the power commander is that you can tweak the whole range and essentially "perfect" the fuel/air curve. With that said, the only way to do that really acurately is where you can measure engine output and analyse the tail pipe gasses at the same time. The bottom line is that if you do this without the dyno you're guessing. I have some friends that CLAIM they make minor tweaks and improve overall performance at different altitudes etc. ( on the powwer commander you can make adjustments on the road without a computer as well as down load curves from net). Maybe they do make improvements at drastic altitude changes. But any improvements they make off a dyno under their normal riding conditions are lucky rather than a comment on how good their mapping skills are. That is, unless the map is way wrong to start with.

The bottom line is that the power commander has some advantages, but you need to put the scoot on a dyno to take real advantage of them. The other benefit is that there are so many maps available on line that you can more than likely find one from someone who lives at the same altitude as you and who has installed the same combination of intake and exhaust. If thats the case you simply buy the unit and software and download the map with your laptop. You do have to be careful though. I'm sure there are plenty of bogus maps available. Best to find one with a dyno chart attached.

Almost forgot, their is one model of the Power Commander that let's you map each cylinder individually. The advantage is you can richen up the rear cylinder a little making it a run a tad cooler and get a better heat balance on the motor.

All this stuff is fun to play with, but if you can notice these minor performance changes (not counting a major remap for mods) under normal riding conditions you are a better man than I am! A couple of horsepower or lbs of torque are pretty subtle. You will even get those kind of variances from different dyno machines.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:40 AM
investorsc
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IS the HD Race Tuner fully variable compared to the power commander then?

BRUCE

Old 02-20-2005, 02:16 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,770 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I used a TFI and was dissapointed at the poor quality and "mickey mouse " way to install, having to cut harness's and splice in. The unit made the bike to rich on the leanest settings. I took it off. The "race commander" will void your warranty if that any concern, but it is the best. 2nd choice would be the "power commander", quality with plug in connectors.
That's my 2cents...