Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike shutting off on me

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 06:12 PM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bike shutting off on me

I've already posted in the Dyna section, figured I'd try here as well.

Here's the details, 2003 Super Glide, carbed bike, 43,000 miles on it, zero issues up to now. Here's the story, several weeks ago I went on a 250 mile ride, no issues all day, maybe 80 degrees out. We gas up and head home, about 20 miles later the bike dies. Idiot lights still work, oil light comes on (as I coast to a stop). Stop on the side of the road, try and start it up it coughs sputters and nothing. Wait a minute and it fired right up, goes about 100 yards and it dies. Same story trying to get it started, goes about a mile and dies. This time I turn the key off, turn it on and it fired right up, this time makes it about 13 miles, dies again. This goes on for a while, I eventually make it home. I drain the gas (assuming it's bad gas since I had no issues until I filled up) check the carbs, pull the petcock, everything looks good. I ride it around for the last few weeks (to work and back, a few miles is all) no issues. Then just this afternoon i ride around for about an hour around town, maybe mid 80's, it does it again. It died near a gas station so I got off and got something to drink, then it fired right up and I make it home . I tested the coil as soon as I got back and for the primary resistance I got .9 Now that it is cooled off I'm still getting .9 ohms, spec is between .5 and .7 .secondary resistance was 6.5 hot and cold (20k setting, which I'm guessing means 6500, (spec is 5500 - 7500) technically the coil is out of spec , but would it be out of spec enough to cause issues? It seems like it only happens when the bike gets warm.

Also I don't know if it matters, but the oil has been changed within the last few weeks. so I've had the issue with old oil and I've had the issue with new oil.

Since this post I've been told to check the ignition switch wires for corrosion or breaks, the battery terminals to see if they are loose or have corrosion, the gas cap to make sure it's venting, and the crank position sensor. I've done everything listed and it all checks out except the crank position sensor, I have no idea how to check it, but was told it's a common issue for that era bike. The magnet gets weak with age and when the bike heats up they get weaker and eventually loose contact, bike cools cown a bit and they magnet gets stronger. Again, no clue how to test this.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:24 PM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Update, I found a way to test the crank position sensor and got 3.5 Vac, from what I can find that seems about right. Also from what I've found, that test doesn't always give you the correct answer....essentially if it reads bad its bad, if it reads good it might be bad. Can anyone verify this? Starting to pull my hair out trying to figure out what is going on with this thing.