Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

electrical problem-88fxrs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 03:28 PM
lowglide88
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default electrical problem-88fxrs

I hope posting this on here will help..anyone who replys withany suggestions I would appreciate it...Ok..here's the problem...I have an 88' fxrs...I just noticed that my gas gauge,dash lights,turn signals and indicator lights(except the high beam)have no power..headlight and tailight work..brake light works when the foot brake is applied..using the hand brake alone it does not get power..but when I apply both the foot and hand brake I get power to gas gauge,dash lights, etc.....any suggestions where to start?....I did notice when I was riding with everything working,soon as I applied the front brake I lost power to the components mentioned..but I had the bike sitting in the garage not running...and everything had power...I tried using the hand brake..trying to create the problem..nothing happened..started the bike up..ran it for a few minutes..turned the key back into the second position(I have a three position ignition switch) still running w/o the headlights..lost the power to the dash lights,gas gauge,etc.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:02 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: electrical problem-88fxrs

Check forbad ground wire....seems the brake switch ground is trying to work .

Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 AM
lowglide88
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: electrical problem-88fxrs

[sm=violent053.gif]Well...good news..I found the problem...it appeared to be the 12v flasher...when I took the head light out of the headlight bucket everything popped back on...make a long story short...the rectangle flasher from the HD dealer..that fits in that clip inside the headlight bucket....the flasher was loose insideits own housing..being clipped in the housingand there isn't alot of room in there..Isuspect the flasher was shorting out inside its own housing...took the flasher out and checked all the other wires and no problem..put in a new flasher..no problem so far.