Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

VE Tables explanation...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:49 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VE Tables explanation...

Guys, as you may have seen in another post, I have a tune, done by a dealer on a dyno, that just doesnt seem right. With some help from others on it, we realized that all was done was the AFR table only modified, and only in the 80-100kpa range. Nothing done to the VE tables etc.
So, I have been reading and trying to learn as much as I can so i know what to look for in a good tune etc. What I am wondering is where do you know where to start with the VE tables? It appears you need to set your VE tables for your particular exhaust and AC...and the AFR tables will set themselves initially? Then if you use AFR tables to make adjustments, this adjusts BOTH cylinders at the same time. I also learned that the VE for front and back are significantly different due to pipe config for rear cylinder etc. Adjusting VE for one or the other can adjust AFR for only that cylinder....
Anyways, hopefully not too confusing. I just am curious as to the steps in a typical tune.. what to ask the tuner and look for etc. Start with what in the VE tables and then adjust using them mostly with some adjustments in AFR or? I know theres ALOT to the SERT, just curious as to a rough method of approach. Mine was on 06 SG, Rineharts, Big Sucker,25 degree inj. They used cal #55 and only adjusted AFR up close to WOT.. I have my map if anyone wants a look ....
Thanks for the brief education guys...

Old 06-25-2007, 08:09 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: VE Tables explanation...

The way the manual reads is to set the entire afr table to 13.2 and tune the VE tables until you actually have 13.2 afras measured with a sniffer at the exhaust, then you can adjust the afrtable richer for high load operation and a bit leaner for cruise area's of the map depending on what your build likes or requires. Pick a canned map with the starting point that seems closest to your build,then, adjustments can be made based on the information from the measured afr.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:17 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: VE Tables explanation...

I need to keep reading the manual and reread it ... Makes sense. Set the AFR to 13.2 abd adjust VE to get each cylinder pretty much at 13.2 each. Then using afr table, which will adjust both cylinders at the same time, richen or lean in the areas you want like cruise range for fuel economy etc...
thanks for the insight man. Appreciate it!