Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

FP3 vs Dyno tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018 | 06:47 PM
dnag
|
Novice
Default FP3 vs Dyno tune

Hi all, hopefuly i don't get crucified for double posting I just realized i made my first post in the wrong area and this is probably a better spot for it but i cant see how to delete the other one so gonna just edit it i guess:

Sup everybody. figured id combine my introduce myself with my question instead of making 2 posts ha.
Just bought an 18 iron 883 about a month ago and i already cant stop throwing money at it. kinda bummed i got a small engine i thought it was gonna take me a lot longer to get comfortable riding but its probably good that i cant go too crazy yet.. anyways

I'm trying to decide on getting a v&h fuelpack3 or taking it to my local shop and getting it dyno tuned with i believe he said a TTS.

All i've done so far is add a bassani road rage3 2-1 exhaust. It's running horrible right now though. First gear it bogs and almost feels like its gonna stall when im already rolling and off the clutch. And its making popcorn on decel. I planned on getting a tuner soon anyways but i figured i could just change the pipes and be good for atleast a couple weeks but its running pretty bad. So i get paid on thursday and plan on buying a Arlen Ness stage 1 big sucker and a tuner.

--My main question is would i be okay with just getting the fuelpack fp3 for intake and exhaust or should i shell out the extra cash for a dyno tune? I know this is opinions but i'd love to hear some opinions from you knowledgeable folks on the forums.

this local guy has a really good reputation around here. He charges $750 flat for the TT3 tuner and a dyno tune. I have no doubts that he would do an extremely good job i'm just wondering if with simple intake and exhaust mods i really need to get it dynod? (might be good to mention im in CA so i hear the bike is probably already running lean from the factory)
I used to have a dodge charger and i put intake and catback exhaust on it and used a handheld diablo tuner and it worked great so i have a little bit of knowledge of handheld tuners and what they can do. Just looking for some pros and cons of both options i guess.

Here's my bike

Old 05-23-2018 | 09:50 AM
enodrano
Road Captain

Looks like you are running the stock air cleaner. When you open the bottom end up the same should be done for the top end. You need a high flow air cleaner. As for the tune, The FP3 basically has a built in Dyno and also has a auto-tune feature for when your not using a Vance & Hines exhaust. You will also be able to manage your maps and flashing wirelessly via a smartphone app. I believe the TTS tuner requires a laptop and cables to connect and flash. I personally would go with the FP3. They also have C.A.R.B. compliant unit.

Old 05-23-2018 | 11:13 AM
carlspeed
Novice

I got a V&H FP3 for my Sportster. I love it. I also have their exhaust, and when I was using the app on my phone to do the install it was wicked easy. I have tuned every bike I've ever owned except my Goldwing. I can honestly say that even over the Power Commander series, the Fuelpak was right on the nose for the tune. I couldn't be happier.

Old 06-01-2018 | 08:53 PM
dnag
|
Novice

So I got the Arlen Ness big sucker installed and then took it to get Dyno tunned and it's running horrible now.. I'm stressing out that maybe I installed the intake wrong and it has a leak or something but I figured if that was the case the tuner would have noticed. He called me while tuning my bike and said hey it's gonna take a little longer your bike is running like **** and then he gave it to me at close but it's running so weird I'm stressing out so hard. This is my first bike I don't know enough about them to figure out the issue. When I put the exhaust on the issue was the same every time I rode it bogged in first gear. Now after the tune there's not one single issue that keeps happening it's just random different irratic problems. Like it seems to rev really high in neutral sometimes and sometimes I pull the clutch and the revs don't go down right away or as much as I think they should. And it just sounds horrible when I'm getting on it.. any advice?

Old 06-03-2018 | 09:55 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

take it back. obviously you paid good $$ for a bad tune.

Old 06-04-2018 | 01:27 AM
baloot-boy
Road Captain

Did he give you a dyno sheet with the torque, hp, and afr numbers? Sounds like he didnt tune you bike. Maybe he installed TTS tuner and auto tuned it? At any rate, bring it back to him cause it should be running good if he knows what hes doing. Then he should provide you with a dyno sheet.

Last edited by baloot-boy; 06-04-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 06-05-2018 | 01:58 PM
dnag
|
Novice

So no Dyno sheet but I think that's because he said the bike is new (600 miles) and so he wasnt going to do a full range tune until I put another 1000 miles on it.

He just called and said that he thinks the issue is that I installed the o2 sensors incorrectly when I put my exhaust on so he's gonna fix that then throw it back on the Dyno. That makes sense to me for all the different intermittent issues it was having would you guys agree? First time I've worked on a bike doing that exhaust i just have basic car mechanic knowledge and figured id be able to figure it out so I definitely could have made a mistake.

Thanks for the replies by the way I appreciate it

This guy came highly recommended from all my harley friends so figured he was good. The other issue I'm wondering about is that the gears aren't showing anymore. He seemed to not even know what I was talking about when I mentioned it. On the digital tach it shows what gear you are in and after that first tune or flash he did it showed the rpms but not what gear I was in