Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

07 reflash for exhaust slip on..help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:54 PM
aksporty
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 07 reflash for exhaust slip on..help please

I bought a 07 softail standard and had slip ons installed and had the computer reflashed with a stage 1. The reflash is to compensate for the increase in exhaust breathability? If I remove the baffle and cut it down or remove packing and reinstall the baffle without cutting it would I need another reflash? If I install an aftermarket intake do I need another reflash? Jeez, I miss my 04............

Old 06-23-2007, 11:44 PM
jmetro
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 07 reflash for exhaust slip on..help please

the stage one is harley's "quick fix" for the common upgrades people do, ie intake and exhaust.

removing your baffles will make the bike run poorly.(tuned or not)not a good thing to do.

your best bet is to buy an aftermarket tuner like the power commander usb or the V&H fuel pak or the SERT (screaming eagle race tuner)

the power commander is relatively easy to install and tune as long as you are decent with a computer (since you're on here, im assuming you are) they also have TONS of premade maps to download into it to get you VERY close to perfectly tuned. (unless you are looking for that extra 2-3 horses a dyno could get you)

the fuel pak is more for people who want someone else to do the thinking for them, as the settings are per V&H personel and make no sense, and no one from V&H will tell you what they mean.

the SERT is a bit more tricky, can't be tuned on the fly, will only work with ONE VIN, and the bike has to be turned off when you want to make a change. not to mention, very few "canned maps"(much harder to get a tricky tune to run right.)

both cost more than a reflash, but you will never have to spend money on a "tune" again, unless you choose to have the bike dyno tuned, then its just whatever the tuner charges to tune it.

If you were to bring it to a dyno now, you would have to buy one tuner module or another

hope this helps.

P.S. (the stage one is fine for just about anything you do to the exhaust and intake save a turbo or blower, LOL)

Old 06-24-2007, 01:17 AM
Wags1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmetro

your best bet is to buy an aftermarket tuner like the power commander usb or the V&H fuel pak or the SERT (screaming eagle race tuner)
Personally I do not favor "piggy back" tuning solutions like the Power Commander. I think you are better off with something like a SERT or Thundermax with Autotune.

The reason things like PC and V&H Fuelpac are considered "piggyback" solutions is that an additional piece of hardware (a module) is installed on the bike and must remain installed. It is literally "piggy backed" onto the existing ECM module, hence the term.
The SERT is actually software, a "dongle", and cables that allow you to communicate to your existing ECM module. You use the software on a computer to change the actual map (to be accurate it is called a calibration file) that the ECM runs. Once you have the map setup the way you want it you use the dongle and cables to connect your computer to the ECM and download the map file to the ECM. That map file totally replaces the existing map file that is used to run the ECM. You are actually reprogramming your ECM. When you are done you remove the dongle and cables. Nothing extra remains on the bike. Hence it IS NOT a "piggy back" solution.

With the Thundermax with Autotune you actually replace the existing ECM with the Thundermax module, and you replace the existing narrow-band O2 sensors with wide-band O2 sensors. Again this IS NOT a "piggy back" solution rather it is a replacement solution.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Roodog
Cruiser

Hi there guys, I think Wags1 is on the right track the thunder max with or with the auto tuner is a good way to go, as you change your bike over time look up the web site for the latest download map and your off and racing again

Old 06-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Sal C
Cruiser

Just installed K&N air flow set-up, along with V&H mufflers, and V&H fuelpak last Thurs nite. Of course, everything comes the nite before I'm getting to do a 1500 mile vacation. So....let's see, do I got enuf time tonite?...will everything work OK while I'm on the road? My wife says, not much else to do tonite....go ahead.
So, from 5 PM til 10 PM I'm in the garage....easy on the Jack and beers. About 10 PM I fire her up, crossing my fingers. AH.....that's the way I want her to sound (as opposed to the stock pipes.POS). Took her around the block...probably irked the neighbors at that time.
Everytime went smooth...the dial -in fuelpak was self-explanatory. TIGHT FIT under the seat. In fact, I'm able to snake the fuelpak umbilical cord between the seat and the frame without pinching it, and velcroing it on the outside of the elec panel.
Everything went great for the 1500 miles...Sounded great, nothing fell off...GET THIS.. got a constant 57 MPG...average speed 70 MPH, and with my HON on the back...Can't beat that these days.
Anyways...I am very satisfied with what I got
'07 Low rider will post picts soon...Hopefully the picts I took in New Mexico of her come out

Old 06-25-2007, 04:40 PM
BlackSpecial
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sal C
...........last Thurs nite.
That was a busy nite for me too!

SE A/C, V&H FuelPak and Cycle Shack slip-ons.

Went to the dyno on Friday.......running great. A/F ratios right where they're supposed to be.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Sal C
Cruiser

mstngjoe..I was going to go w/ SE a/c, but I read a few threads about the air filter 'coming apart', which could be sucked into the intake. That would suck. The K&N was 99 bucks..Included backplate, breather extenders etc. Keep an eye on the filter, glad you had a good install with your pipes and fuelpaK.

ENJOY

Old 06-25-2007, 07:26 PM
BlackSpecial
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sal C

mstngjoe..I was going to go w/ SE a/c, but I read a few threads about the air filter 'coming apart', which could be sucked into the intake. That would suck. The K&N was 99 bucks..Included backplate, breather extenders etc. Keep an eye on the filter, glad you had a good install with your pipes and fuelpaK.

ENJOY
Yeah...I've seen some negative feedback. I'll keep an eye on mine.

K&N has apparently had some isssues too....although it seems they have redesigned their filter.

http://www.xlforum.net/vbportal/foru...489&page=4

If mine doesn't hold up....K&N here I come.