Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:30 PM
MetallicaMatt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SERT ?

another question,

does the SERT stay connect to the bike at all times? or just when tuning/changing files? If I only need the 9pin-4pin connector for the SERT to the bike, then my tuner will have that

Old 06-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Wags1
Tourer

They stopped including the cables (a cable goes from the data port on the bike to the dongle and from the dongle to your computer) some time ago and made it a separately ordered kit. The kit includes both cables. The cables/dongle/computer do not remain on the bike. You only connect them when you want to load a calibration file or do data recording.

Yes, if you take your bike somewhere to have it dyno tuned then they will have a set of cables. However, since you are paying well over $400 for the SERT kit most folkswill spend the extra $30 forthe cables so they can tweak things themselves and not have to always rely on, and pay, someone else. If you take the time to read the manuals, play around with the SERT software, and do some reading here, the average person is more than capableof tweaking/fine tuningtheir calibration file.

Before you drop another $200-$400 on a dyno tune spend some time tweaking it yourself a bit. I think you maybe surprised at the excellent results you can achieve. At the end of the day if you are still not getting the results you want or are experiencing performance problems that you can't tweak out yourself then you can always go have it dyno tuned. Just make sure that you tell them up front that you want a copy of final tuned calibration file that they are going to load. Once it is loaded to the ECM their is no way to copy it off of the ECM. It is a one way process. But they will have a copy of the final file on their computer so make sure they agree to give you a copy.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:37 PM
MetallicaMatt
Cruiser

thanks wags,

the only reason i was asking about the cable is that I have my dyno tuned scheduled for Friday, and my dealer seems to take at least a week to get any part in, so I was worried I might not have everything in time. I'll get my own cables afterwards.

I am taking my bike to a local speed shop, I am good friends with the owner, and he will tweak any of the tunes for no charge. Hell...he spent a couple of days tuning my car and has no problem going back and fixing a couple of things.

Probably spend $200 for the dynotune. Not too bad I don't think, since he really knows his sh*t.

then again, I agree completely with the average guy being able to get it down after some time. I'm just out of time this summer!

any other advice would be great

oh and I put the V&H pipes on today, and she sounds AMAZING!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Wags1
Tourer

Sounds like a good plan. Like I said, make sure to get a copy of the final calibration file from him. That way, if you do play around with the settings yourself and you do something that makes things worse you always have the tuned calibration file to reload. Let us all know how you make out.

Glad you like the sound of your V&H pipes. I considered them before I put on my Rineharts. Had V&H Straight Shots on my '03 Super Glide and really liked the sound.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:23 PM
MetallicaMatt
Cruiser

i got the cables today from the dealership, and like you said, my laptop didn't have the serial port. I borrowed a friends serial to usb converter, and it still wouldn't connect. So I'm hoping that it was their converter. I called my tuner and he said he has some nice ones that he uses all the time. All I was going to do is register the VIN on the SERT and upload the calibration file. But I guess I'll just wait until the dyno on Friday

Old 06-26-2007, 08:15 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the usb to serial connection you need to make sure you are communicating on the proper COM port. You can find this on the window that pops up when you select "program ecm". There is a menu on this window labeled "com port". You need to determine which com port this usb is using. This can be done by right clicking on "my computer" and selecting the properties menu item. Select the "hardware" tab and then push the "device manager" button. From here I believe you will look under either "com and lpt" ports or "universal serial bus controllers" (i don't have this plugged in at the moment to my desktop). One of these will display the usb to serial adapter and describe which port it is on. Once you know that, you can plug in the appropriate port to the program ecm window.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:21 PM
MetallicaMatt
Cruiser

yulp, I checked that, I was using the right COM

it only get me 2 choices, and I tried both just to make sure, neither worked

Old 06-26-2007, 08:24 PM
TickTock
Club Member

did one of them go away when you unplugged the adapter? If not, then the usb driver for the adapter is not loaded on your laptop. You may need to go the website of the manufacturer of the adapter and get the usb driver.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:27 PM
MetallicaMatt
Cruiser

yeah at first i only had COM 5 which didn't work, i downloaded the driver, and COM 8 showed up, which I confirmed was the correct one for that, but when I tried to connect, it said to check connections, make sure the key was on, etc etc

Old 06-26-2007, 08:29 PM
TickTock
Club Member

well if you had the key turned to ignition and it still didn't work, then I'm fresh out! Sorry i couldn't give you something to work with.

oh yeah and reboot after you install the driver...

Quick Reply: SERT ?