Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Front cylinder still a little lean, rear looks just about right

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 04:12 PM
WouldBeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front cylinder still a little lean, rear looks just about right

So I've loaded calibration #67, maxxedthe CLB tables, and bumped the CID setting in constants to 97.7, but I the front cylinder is still looking a little leanon the spark plub. The ground electrode is whiter thanI would like upfront, but the rear cylinder is a nice, tan color. Both cylinders have clean center electrodes and insulators. Is there an easy way richen up the front cylinder a touch without putting the rear cylinder out of range? I'm tempted to just leave things alone, as I'm not getting severe decel pop or anything of that nature, but I am curious if there are any minor adjustments I could make that might fatten up the front cylinder a touch.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:41 PM
hounddog
Tourer
Default RE: Front cylinder still a little lean, rear looks just about right

i have a very simular issue on my 05 fxdci. the back looks perfect but the fronts a lil whiter than i would like, but i've done many a miles like this. doesnt seem to be hurting. now i knew on the carb models its usaully the rears lean do to it running hotter cuz of less air flow so theres a fine line between having the front rich enuf but then the backs to lean so you richin up the carb then the front to rich, its just what you have when yer tryin to feed 2 cyl. with one carb. now i thought this hole sequental port injection stuff would have solved the unbalanced issues as its got an inj. for each one. maybe you have an inj thats stickin??? i ran out of gas twice over a few month period and my indy mech thought i might have sucked up some sh*t and that caused it. still kinda livin with it, but would liek to know if theres a fix. i also think i have the 8deg inj and ive heard the 25's are way better but im not sure it was the 05's as much as the 06's. sorry man cant help but yer not alone.........does anyone have any ideas???

Old 06-20-2007, 05:26 PM
johnny canuck
Road Captain

If you don't have a service manual I'd suggest you get one. These bikes aren't like the old days. Service manual says aplug with white, yellow, or light tan to rusty brown powdery deposit indicates balanced combustion
An overheated plug can be identified by a light brown, glassy deposit.
Why did you adjust CID?

Old 06-20-2007, 07:05 PM
hounddog
Tourer

well i think mines pretty good then its just a little strange the fronts more white and the backs the most perfect tan good burning color. pretty weird but the front also gets sum black clumps of build up over a few 1,000 miles. but im sure its the stuff thats not bad no metallic lookin stuff or alum. specs. thanks

Old 06-20-2007, 11:05 PM
WouldBeHD
Tourer

ORIGINAL: johnny canuck

If you don't have a service manual I'd suggest you get one. These bikes aren't like the old days. Service manual says aplug with white, yellow, or light tan to rusty brown powdery deposit indicates balanced combustion
An overheated plug can be identified by a light brown, glassy deposit.
Why did you adjust CID?
I was told by Fletcher's dyno guy that a bump in CID would fatten up the fuel delivery a touch. We discussed and he suggested setting it right around 1600cc, which lands at 97.7ci. I need a service manual for sure, but money has been flying out for other things lately. I've done a little plug reading before, but this was in the EFI car world. I assumed that the plugs would more or less read the same. The deposits on both plugs are powdery, not glassy, so that seems to be a good sign. There is some carbon deposit on the shell, just above the threads, but no metallic bits and no oily residue, so that seems pretty good to me as well. Sounds like I might be just fine with things the way they are.