Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune or PCV with Auto Tune Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 09:31 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 958 Posts
Default TTS Mastertune or PCV with Auto Tune Kit?

I already have a PCV for my 2007 Ultra. Purchased in 2009. But. Every map I have installed the MPG goes in the toilet , bad. So. I gave up on it about 2 years ago. Been reading good things about TTS Mastertune. So. Trying to decide wheather to keep PCV and add the Auto Tune kit of go with the TTS Mastertune. I have no experience in "computer tuning" a bike. Changes to bike are Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner, SE slip on mufflers, SE 255 cams. It would a learning curve.

Last edited by OLD 96; 01-05-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:45 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

You did not say what your millage is, nor what you expect.

I am a novice, so take this for what it is worth, (and understand, I don’t like the idea of piggy-back units.)

With the mods you have the PCV should have been adequate.
If you gave up on that, what makes you think you would be better with something else?

As far as the AT PRO for the PCV, you have to understand, it will help you dial in the VE’s (especially in the high-load areas) a little quicker, but there is more to the fuel mileage aspect then just VE’s. As an example, your spark tables play a big role in fuel mileage as well as power, so knowing how to properly tune the EFI tables is imperative to complete proper performance.

If you do not plan on any additional upgrades to the motor, and you are comfortable with continued use of the PCV, then find a reputable dyno shop, tell the tuner your objectives, and have them dial it in.
But you will still have a piggy-back tuner.

If money is no object, then buy the TTS and have a reputable dyno shop familiar with the TTS dial it in.

If you find yourself (often like me) counting your pennies to decide what you can afford, then it is a little more complicated. Are you ever going to trade in this bike? Are you going to want to tune more then one bike with this unit? More then two? Do you already have a laptop (you apparently did) running a current version of Windows?

OR,
Are you the type person that has to do it yourself?

The PV is a nice, very versatile and powerful unit, can be licensed to a number of bikes, (limitations not stated,) and does not need to be connected to a lap-top to make adjustments. However, for full access to the adjustments available it will have to be connected to a computer running their software, but can be a desktop away from the bike.

As far as the TTS goes, it can (depending on which unit purchased) be used on two bikes.
And as your current PCV, you will need a lap-top running a currently supported version of Windows to use it.
The TTS has more features, can configure more of the Delphi tables, and has more tools then the PV.

Whether you choose the PV or the TTS, or even if you are going to keep the PCV, if you are going to do the tuning yourself you need to read and understand the TTS manuals. They are the most comprehensive of any available.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:38 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
You did not say what your millage is, nor what you expect.

I am a novice, so take this for what it is worth, (and understand, I don’t like the idea of piggy-back units.)

With the mods you have the PCV should have been adequate.
If you gave up on that, what makes you think you would be better with something else?

As far as the AT PRO for the PCV, you have to understand, it will help you dial in the VE’s (especially in the high-load areas) a little quicker, but there is more to the fuel mileage aspect then just VE’s. As an example, your spark tables play a big role in fuel mileage as well as power, so knowing how to properly tune the EFI tables is imperative to complete proper performance.

If you do not plan on any additional upgrades to the motor, and you are comfortable with continued use of the PCV, then find a reputable dyno shop, tell the tuner your objectives, and have them dial it in.
But you will still have a piggy-back tuner.

If money is no object, then buy the TTS and have a reputable dyno shop familiar with the TTS dial it in.

If you find yourself (often like me) counting your pennies to decide what you can afford, then it is a little more complicated. Are you ever going to trade in this bike? Are you going to want to tune more then one bike with this unit? More then two? Do you already have a laptop (you apparently did) running a current version of Windows?

OR,
Are you the type person that has to do it yourself?

The PV is a nice, very versatile and powerful unit, can be licensed to a number of bikes, (limitations not stated,) and does not need to be connected to a lap-top to make adjustments. However, for full access to the adjustments available it will have to be connected to a computer running their software, but can be a desktop away from the bike.

As far as the TTS goes, it can (depending on which unit purchased) be used on two bikes.
And as your current PCV, you will need a lap-top running a currently supported version of Windows to use it.
The TTS has more features, can configure more of the Delphi tables, and has more tools then the PV.

Whether you choose the PV or the TTS, or even if you are going to keep the PCV, if you are going to do the tuning yourself you need to read and understand the TTS manuals. They are the most comprehensive of any available.

Hope this helps.
IKnowNot. For a novice you are very knowledgeable. Hell I don't even know what a VE is. I can tune the living daylights out of a carb. Computer tune? Forgetaboutit. Thanks for all of your advice. Even though you are a "novice".

Old 01-07-2018, 12:59 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

IMO the best advice is to take it to a reputable tuner in your area (within a half-day’s ride) and have him tune your bike with the tuner he chooses, not you.
You will be happiest to do it this way. That said, there are those who insist to get involved in tuning, which can be very rewarding providing you are willing put in the obligatory testing, trying, and recoveries from failed attempts.
Three things that should be minimum requirements for self-tuning....
1- A good general understanding of PC computers, Windows, and willing to spend the time to learn a new, very powerful software program.
2- A well rounded knowledge of the Delphi EFI operation fundamentals. What “speed density” means and how it directly applies to tuning strategies.
3- A clear understanding of how IC engines run and what makes these 45deg Vtwin HD engines happy

Just the facts,
Bob
PS- Yes I are a tuner

Last edited by FLTRI17; 01-07-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:50 PM
09fxdfse
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should enquire about the rep of the Tuner you are going to see.
Just happens you are pretty close to GMR Performance in Fort Worth.
Steve really knows his stuff.

Last edited by 09fxdfse; 01-07-2018 at 10:51 PM.