Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Sert - anyone know what they are doing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 02:56 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sert - anyone know what they are doing?

Here is the dilemma. 2007 SG, Rhinehart TD and Big sucker. Bike runs great but has a decel pop when I downshift and the RPM's roll up through 2200-2450 or so. Took away from the decel enleanment, added to accel enrichement, added fuel to 0 throttle position in these ranges and still nothing. Anyone an expert that can either give me a suggestion or take a look at my map and help me out? My tuner can't get it out and it is hard to make it happen consistently (but I can make it happen). It happens mostly as the engine gets warm.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-16-2007, 04:29 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Sert - anyone know what they are doing?

TT

I'm by no means an expert so take my reply with a grain of salt, but reading up as much as I can and trying to retain what I've read..............some NEVER get rid of decel pop. It seems to be the nature of some pipes and the way theypossibly suckair back up the pipe at certain rpm/throttle positions.

I hope you get it resolved as it seems you've tried what supposedly "should" have worked.[&o]

Old 06-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Joesig
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with a small amount decel poping. I had my bike tuned using the SERT after I installed a SE A/C and V&H oval slip ons. Bike runs great my fuel milage is near the original MPG ~41MPG. My tech sayshe can get rid of the poping if I change the head pipes to true duals. It tok me trips to two HD dealers to have the bike tuned correctly, The first dealer realy screwed the bike up and would not refund the $230. I paid him for the tune and dyno. I ended up taking the bike to another HD dealer in New Orleans, LA and paying another $250.to have the bike tuned right.
Pick your tuner with caution.
2007 FLHTCU
SERT,V&H slip ons, SE A/c

Joe

Old 06-17-2007, 11:20 AM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Accel enrichment will not do anything for the popping, if the decel tables are not helping you, you need to go back into the VE tables for the front and rear cylinders and raise the ve numbers from 1500 rpm up (at 0 percent throttle)by a few increments at a time until it goes away, if it does not you can pretty much bet that you have an exhaust leak somewhere before or at the mufflers.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TickTock

Here is the dilemma. 2007 SG, Rhinehart TD and Big sucker. Bike runs great but has a decel pop when I downshift and the RPM's roll up through 2200-2450 or so. Took away from the decel enleanment, added to accel enrichement, added fuel to 0 throttle position in these ranges and still nothing. Anyone an expert that can either give me a suggestion or take a look at my map and help me out? My tuner can't get it out and it is hard to make it happen consistently (but I can make it happen). It happens mostly as the engine gets warm.

Thanks in advance
Try getting in touch with Faction95. I think he gas had good luck with his SERT. He might be able to help.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:58 PM
TickTock
Club Member

ORIGINAL: BVBOB

Accel enrichment will not do anything for the popping, if the decel tables are not helping you, you need to go back into the VE tables for the front and rear cylinders and raise the ve numbers from 1500 rpm up (at 0 percent throttle)by a few increments at a time until it goes away, if it does not you can pretty much bet that you have an exhaust leak somewhere before or at the mufflers.
I have quite a bit of fuel in 0 (almost max) in the ve tables. Nothing seems to help. The pop is not consistent when trying to make it happen, but it is consistent at the rpm where it occurs. When I was in the Blue ridge and coasting down hills without downshifting I could make it happen regularly. Here in FL where it is flat, I can make it happen just not every time. I have searched for exhaust leaks and can't identify any either at the mufflers or at the cylinder heads. When I installed my new pipes I did use new gaskets and as far as I can tell there is not an exhaust leak anywhere. I did remove the O2 sensors and clean them to see if that would make a difference this morning and I plan to test it this afternoon, however I really don't think that is going to help but I had to at least eliminate it from my list.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:46 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain

I would love to get a look at your map if possible, when you say almost maxed on the VE tables, are you already well past the 100 percent mark? You didn't use SE exhaust gaskets by any chance, did you?

Old 06-17-2007, 02:36 PM
TickTock
Club Member

I sent you a pm. If you email me I will send you a copy of the map. And yes, the ve tables in zero percent 2000-3000 rpm are around 120 at the moment. I used the James gaskets that came with the Rineharts.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:25 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain

Well, got a look at your map, first off, no timing adjustments were made, second , they have maxed the closed loop bias tables yet the entire afr map is in 14.2 which does not enable closed loop at all anyway, also, the map appears to be severely rich just about everywhere, it would almost lead me to believe you have an intake leak, if not, you would be able to smell the fuel, the VE numbers are abnormally high in almost all areas, especially for an otherwise stock engine, I don't know who your tuner is, but I would ask for my money back, it is an incomplete tune at best. Dont mean to sound harsh but with a quick look I can tell you things are not normal by any means, many of the VE numbers are maxed out , What you need to do is get the bike back on a dyno, or with the use of an exhaust afr guage,(like the twinscanII) and get the Ve tables set accurately and then re enable the 02 function by putting the cruise area of the map back at 14.6. But like I said before, if this bike was set up with some means of reading the afr out the pipe, the extremely high VE numbers would make me think it was getting extra air from somewhere besides the throttle body. By my guess, who ever tuned this bike was not very knowledgable with the SERT. I do not claim to be an expert by a long shot but I have installed enough race tuners to tell you there are some definate problems. BTW, what's your MPG been?

Old 06-17-2007, 08:26 PM
TickTock
Club Member

The change to 14.2 were recent adjustments made by the tuner as he indicated that in those ranges it was running lean when he had it on the dyno. I am sending you the map I was running prior to these adjustments which were made last week in an effort to help solve the problem. As information, the first map was done by a different person than the second map. The map I am now sending you I have run for about 5000 miles. These two tuners work together but the second guy didn't work the day the first guy did my map. The first map just was done last week.

Regarding gas mileage, I have been receiving about 38 around town and 40-42 on the highway prior to these changes.

Regarding an intake leak, any places to start?

Quick Reply: Sert - anyone know what they are doing?