Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax help

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thundermax help

I just pulled the trigger on a Thundermax unit from Zippers. They are going to pre-load a base map for me. When installing do I have to do anything different from the installation manuals that are on the Thundermax website? I assume I won't have to select any map at all but whats different when installing the TM with a pre-loaded map as opposed to selecting a map yourself? I can call Zippers and I'm sure they'll explain it but I thought someone here on the forum may know. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:39 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Thundermax help

Download the latest intructions from Zippers dated 5-31-07 and follow those as outlined. Supposedly leaving out the IAC Autotune process that used to be the finale in setting up is the way to go now...........meaning do not do the IAC Autotune step. Youwill not see this "step" in the latest instructions, as Zippers has even chosen to leave it out.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your unit will arrive with a base map loaded then you should not need to go through the map selection and map loading routine. The instructions will tell you how to select the parameters that that you wish to monitor and how to tweak different areas of the loaded map. You can keep the same target AFR across the board or you can option to vary the AFR at the rpm of your choice. (Richer while running slowerand leaner when running at cruse speeds in order to gain economy on a long trip.) The major difference between the T-MAX and Daytona Twin Tec seems to be the data relay from the O2 sensors. I may be wrong but it looks like DTT requires that the data gathered by the WEGO II to be manually loaded to the efi controller. (Possibly with tweaks supplied by the owner.) Where the T-MAX auto tune sends the data to the efi controller in real time and tunes on the fly. I can only see this as the system that the EFI Harleys should come with from the factory.

Good luck with it.
Arcane

Old 06-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts

I just complete intalling my Pre-mapped Thundermax EFI on my '07 Street Glide (four month biuld, need to share it with you guy's, any help in explaining to me how to include pictures in a post would be helpfull) anyway, on the sleeve that the CD came in, it stated map that was loaded (map384) and to skip step's 3-6 of the install manual. So basically what I had to do was initialiaze the ECM (three on off cycles, start the bike twice) then complete the IAC Autotune process, check two funtions to make sure the 6 gear indicator light would work and that's it. Other then a communication problem I had ( see this tread "ThunderMax Set-up help please..") Everything went perfect and bike run's fantastic. Rich A

Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior

Hello again,
UltraKlassic, your right, I took a look at the set up manual on Zippers site, and it is diffrent then the one that came with my unit. I proformed the IAC Autotune process as I was instructed to do as per the manual that I recieved. My bike run's great so I guess this step was necessary with the kit that was sent to me but on the new software packages coming out it is not. Would you tend to agree or is this a step that I didn't need to proform? Thx. And a specail thx for all you contribute to this forum. You've been quite helpful to me along the way of this latest build, thx, Rich A

Old 06-16-2007, 11:40 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Puttnutt24

Hello again,
UltraKlassic, your right, I took a look at the set up manual on Zippers site, and it is diffrent then the one that came with my unit. I proformed the IAC Autotune process as I was instructed to do as per the manual that I recieved. My bike run's great so I guess this step was necessary with the kit that was sent to me but on the new software packages coming out it is not. Would you tend to agree or is this a step that I didn't need to proform? Thx. And a specail thx for all you contribute to this forum. You've been quite helpful to me along the way of this latest build, thx, Rich A
To do the IAC Autotune or not to dothe IAC Autotune stepduring install PROBABLY stems from the fact that if you do it ONCE then you should be OK. But if you do it more than once without CLEARING THE IAC MODULE OFFSETS, what is believed to happen is the stopswith the INITIAL loading process start conflicting with the ECM in the attempt for the TMax to "autotune" and people get bad running bikes, then they start over, reload base map,run the IAC autotune step, and the process snowballs creating a terrible running bike and frustrated end-user.

I believe the key to ever needing to "redo" a load is to clear the IAC offsets within the program before re-programming. Randy at Zippers e-mailed me a complete step-by-step instruction on how to actually "start over" and to do this correctly to thwart the potential to create the aforementioned conflict..........call him and he will send them to you or PM me and I will send them to you via e-mail as well.

If your bike is running to your expectations after allowing it time to Autotune, I personally would leave it alone. LMK if you need anything.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:06 AM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior

great explaination, thank you, Rich

Old 06-17-2007, 04:29 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Not sure about that though, I ran IAC tune just once and my bike stumbled and died at cold idle. Once I cleared theadjustments it idled smooth again.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:18 PM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all. This info is very helpful and just what I was looking for. I just got my Rineharts on yesterday and my Big Sucker and pre-loaded Thundermax w/ Autotune will be here on Tuesday. I'll post some pics and update this post after I'm up and running again. Thanks again!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Jman67
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, just hook it up and follow the instructions. Have a Dremel or the like around. Some altering of the EMC caddy is required.

Quick Reply: Thundermax help