Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

starter relay bad? or something else.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 01:06 AM
hialtitudesportster
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter relay bad? or something else.

Hi, I have a 91 sportster 1200 that I am having a problem with. When I turn the key to the on position and flick the handlebar control switch to run, the lights will dim and then there is a clicking noise coming from underneath the seat. The click will sound once and the there will be about a thirty second delay and it will click again. In between the clicks the lights will dim and then get bright. Also when I have the handle bar control switch in the run position the starter button will not work. I crossed the starter wires to see if the starter would turn over and it does. But only if the handlebar switch is turned off. When I cross the wires with the handlebar control switch on. The starter will not work. Do you think the starter relay is bad. Or could it be the main breaker. I have not been able to exactly determine the place of the clicking. And does anybody know if you can buy a starter relay at napa. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-15-2005, 10:40 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 149 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: starter relay bad? or something else.

It sounds like a wiring or breaker problem more than a relay problem. Try isolating the circuit by removing fuses one at a time and trying it again to reproduce the condition. Should tell you which circuit the problem is in. After that you'll have to follow the circuit to see if you have a pinched wire. But most important is to track down what's clicikin.