Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ThunderMax Set-up help please..

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 04:14 AM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts
Default ThunderMax Set-up help please..

Hello. I'm having a trouble setting up my TM ecm with auto tune on my '07 Street Glide. Initializing seemed to go fine, bike idle's smooth. But my problems started while setting up the IAC-auto function. I started with a cold motor, set up and monitored the Eng head temp, IAC Position and the Eng speed gauges. Started the bike, waited about 5 seconds until the idle smoothed out. Clicked on the IAC-Auto key (turned green) and as I was watching the Eng head temp raising (instructions say to let it get to 289 degrees) at about 145 a window pop's up saying "Monitoring- searching for connection" all guages freeze at this time. And a few moments later, another pop up comes up reading "GetCommERROR=0". I made a couple attempt's and this is as far as I can go, same thing keep's happening. Any suggestions?? Please...... Rich A

Old 06-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Default RE: ThunderMax Set-up help please..

Tell me this. How can I start the set up procedture again from scratch. What do I need to reset to do this? Thx, Rich A

Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 AM
LockNut
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me. I had bought a $20 USB-Serial adapter to use specifically for this. I tried it 3 times and each time the bikewould get to about 175 and it would have a com failure.It turns out that the software for the adapter was causing a problem. I went to BestBuy and bought a $40 adapter. Started over from the begining with the new adapter and made it through the IAC adjustment.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior

Locknut, thank you. I have a cables to go adapter which I paid about twenty buck's for. I'll stop at Best Buy on my way home and purchase another adapter. You wouldn't by chance no the manufature of the adapter would you? Thx again, Rich A

Old 06-14-2007, 11:32 AM
LockNut
Cruiser

That cables to go is the same one I bought first! The one I have now is made by Dynex DX-UBDDB9.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior

Your the best, thanks. I'd still like to start the set up from scratch. I'll pull the max-fuse, re intitalize the ecm but what about clearing anything on the ecm? thx again, Rich A

Old 06-14-2007, 11:58 AM
LockNut
Cruiser

That is what I did. Start from the very begining which will reload the base map. From there you should be good to go.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior

Thing is, Zippers programmed the base map prior to shipping the unit to me so I'd rather not go that far back. How about if I disconnect the battery (remove maxx-fuss) Go to tools, clear all IAC module offsets, reinitialize the ecm and then proceed to set the IMC to engine temp settings. Should I be ok then? Thx in advance, Rich A

Old 06-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior

Locknut, Just wanted to say thank's. Purchased the same adapter you mentioned, clearted the AIC settings, reinitialized. proceeded from step 6 to the end and presto.... perfect!!! Thanks again, Putt...

Old 06-14-2007, 10:16 PM
LockNut
Cruiser

That's great news.

Quick Reply: ThunderMax Set-up help please..