Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Front cylinder turns into an air pump - NO CODES

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Doobie60
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front cylinder turns into an air pump - NO CODES

2013 FLHTCU with a stock 103.
Rolls & shifts ok when going easy but when I get into her at any RPM the front cylinder quits firing & turns into an air pump. When I get off the throttle she'll fir e & roll on. Starts like an old John Deere.
WILL NOT accellerate heavy in any gear. ECM gives no codes.
Been at the Dealer for 4 weeks now & even after thee SE Stage 1 upgrade, checking all wiring, sensors & running diagnostics, they still don't know what's up. Going for a new ECM next.
Little help!!

Old 10-12-2017, 12:51 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 693 Posts

well if it will run gently, then i would not expect the ecm. the ecm only calculates info from other sensors. how did they run diagnostics??? sitting on the floor ain't it, they need a rolling data log under the exact same conditions, remember, under load, data is diff.
what can kill is map, tps, cps and even injectors. that said, the fuel pressure regulator can be going crazy when longer on-time is called for. another killer is the coil loading, as speed goes up so does coil current and if the unit is not up to snuff, weak spark.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Doobie60
3rd Gear

Dealership told me yesterday that they tried the new ECM & there is no change in the way she runs. I asked the questions in your reply & they told me they ran diagnostics under load & had checked all the items listed. They also said they have been in contact with HD directly for assistance but with no error codes showing they are as dumbfounded as the Dealership.
It appears they will now start “guessing “ as to what is wrong.
Going on 5 weeks in the shop with no clue on what to do.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:16 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

well, i do not think the dealership is up &up. if they are data logging, they can see what is happening anywhere from throttle sensor to fuel control. they need to be looking at sensor input but maybe your model does not allow that but it should. there are 5 layers to the system and maybe they can only see the first two.
when we had issues with equip offshore, the diagnostic tool will show the ladder logic as it is happening.
but the new ecu would eliminate the ecu. have you re-routed any wires?? if there is emf being induced into the system, the computer will go stupid since it can not tell what the command is.

do they have an o-scope? they might want to look at the ign wave forms.

The following users liked this post:
Doobie60 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:00 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

if anything, the dealer should know if it is an ignition cut off or fuel cut off, simple tools like inline spark tester and injector noids will tell the tale.

The following users liked this post:
Doobie60 (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 11:11 AM
Doobie60
3rd Gear

I had them replace the stock spark plug wires with SE Phat 10mm wires. Runs like a scalded dog now. Issue solved.