Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

1998 Road King Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 08:32 PM
Tim2204
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Road King Classic

I am just starting to have trouble with my ignition system. I was wondering if any body had replaced there original one and thought it was worth the cost and trouble ?

Old 10-02-2017, 08:23 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

you will get more replies in the EVO section...lots of good guys in there an they are very knowledgeable.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:54 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 860 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim2204
I am just starting to have trouble with my ignition system. I was wondering if any body had replaced there original one and thought it was worth the cost and trouble ?
In order to provide useful information could you clarify in detail exactly what "starting to have trouble with my ignition system" means.
Also include information like mileage, history of ownership and all modifications to bike (bars, air box, mufflers etc).
For example:The cam position sensor in timer cone area by your right foot floor board will start melting if original and create a hard start situation when it goes bad. A lot of cranking and nothing but then it finally starts after many attempts. A beige goo would be visible leaking/melting out of wire exit at bottom of cone.
Another example: The crank position sensor connector gets loose and create a false contact that will cause motor to shut-off when you go over a bump and has a free fix.
Another example: The fuel tank liner will release a piece of liner from the center of the tank and block fuel inlet causing a loss of fuel flow.
Another example: Fuel lines outside of tank leak at swivle or fall apart internally causing fuel problems after about 10 years.
Another example: bad engine temp sensor causing throttle to flip flop from a run away idle to nothing and repeat making bike un-rideable do to bike switching from hot to cold idle rapidly and repeatedly.
Another example: The ignition key lock switch on the tank can develop a bad connection and requires cleaning.
These are just a few simple items that caused folks headaches that pushed them in the direction of spending money when it was just a simple problem.
The original system is very workable and rather simple.