Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SE Pro Street Tuner Autotune Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:06 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,876 Likes on 11,605 Posts
Default SE Pro Street Tuner Autotune Questions

I've installed SE Street Cannons, and about to install the K&N air cleaner on my '17 Road King. To stay warranty compliant, I bought the SE Street Tuner. But, I don't quite understand how to do the auto tune. I've read as much as I can find on this forum, and went through the HD training. So, please bear with my questions, if they have been answered. First I'll do a canned download, then do the auto tune.

When making the runs in autotune:

- do you pick one gear...such as 2nd, and run it through the full RPM range. Which means I'd be down no about 80mph at redline?
- Do you do one recording session per run, or do you keep it recording and do multiple runs?

Thanks...

Old 10-02-2017, 06:10 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Harley has a section on recording data in the street tuner training.

Make sure the engine is fully up to operating temp before recording data. Ride 15 - 20 miles before recording.

Make sure to stop data recording prior to shutting off the vehicle.

While recording data, ride at 5 mph speed increments from idle (low engine speed) to maximum engine speed or a safe vehicle speed for road conditions in all gears. Hold constant speed for 15-30 seconds at each speed/gear combination.

I did throttle roll ons in several gears on Interstate on ramps. I ran on the interstate in 3rd through 5th running 65, 70, 75, 80 higher if safe

What really helped my bike run better was just recording while on a long ride like I normally run the bike. I'm not sure how long you can record data, I was able to record Auto Tune sessions of over an hour on my Power Vision.

I did many sessions over a period of weeks to get data at different temps and weather conditions.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:49 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by shanneba
Harley has a section on recording data in the street tuner training.

Make sure the engine is fully up to operating temp before recording data. Ride 15 - 20 miles before recording.

Make sure to stop data recording prior to shutting off the vehicle.

While recording data, ride at 5 mph speed increments from idle (low engine speed) to maximum engine speed or a safe vehicle speed for road conditions in all gears. Hold constant speed for 15-30 seconds at each speed/gear combination.

I did throttle roll ons in several gears on Interstate on ramps. I ran on the interstate in 3rd through 5th running 65, 70, 75, 80 higher if safe

What really helped my bike run better was just recording while on a long ride like I normally run the bike. I'm not sure how long you can record data, I was able to record Auto Tune sessions of over an hour on my Power Vision.

I did many sessions over a period of weeks to get data at different temps and weather conditions.
Thanks! That helps a lot!

Old 10-02-2017, 10:16 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,890 Likes on 3,702 Posts

The goal is to hit the entire RPM range at different throttle positions. Different loads, different speeds. Gearing down at highway speeds can help accomplish this.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:28 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by strych9
The goal is to hit the entire RPM range at different throttle positions. Different loads, different speeds. Gearing down at highway speeds can help accomplish this.
? All while keeping the recording session running?

Old 10-02-2017, 11:25 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,890 Likes on 3,702 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
? All while keeping the recording session running?
Yes. The system is comparing the air/fuel ratios sensed during the datalog against the SE tuner's preset "ideal" ratios for all of those ranges. Here is how the actual tables look. You can see it's throttle position vs RPM:

Ideally, you want to hit all possible ranges from idle to rev limit.