Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Tach install on a Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Rimshot
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach install on a Dyna

Howdy- Do any of you HD owners or Techs have knowledge or experience installing a HD Tach option on a 04 or 05 Dyna Super Glide?
I am thinking about buying the part and self installing instead of paying over 100.00 for the dealers services. Thanks.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:36 AM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tach install on a Dyna

I installed a tach on a deuce,

The wiring is the same just the mount is different. The job went really well. If you are mechanicly inclined it should be no problem. The worst part was lifting the tank up to run the wires. You never cut and splice wires on the install. all wires go into the speedometer or into a wire connector. On hint i can give you is on one connection in a wiring connector you have to instal a pin in the connector. In order to do that you have to remove a small plastic pin that holds all the pins in the connector to put the wire in. the instructions dont tell you that, i just had to figure that one on my own. The tach even comes with its own fuse that you instal in in the fuse panel. You instal a fuse pin in the fuse panel to accept the fuse. If you decide to do it on your own and run into a problem e-mail me and i may be able to help.

Here is a pic of my tach.

Hope this helps,

David

Old 01-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Rimshot
2nd Gear

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how the install goes in a few weeks when I receive the parts.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:46 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahh, who needs a tach anyway. Those of us who aren't mechanically inclined don't need to worry about it. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-28-2005, 08:23 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: 12Stones

Ahh, who needs a tach anyway. Those of us who aren't mechanically inclined don't need to worry about it. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Just another dang chrome gizmo to go bad! Besides, on the new bikes the electronics keeps you from over-revving. Now on some certain ol' farts in here with Ironheads, a tach might be useful!

Old 09-08-2020, 08:56 AM
Jgodfrey58
Stage I
Default 2012 HD FXDC tach wiring diagram needed

The coil does not have a negative,how do I connect my speedhut after market tach. Where does the HD tach signal come from?

Originally Posted by breaknbad
I installed a tach on a deuce,

The wiring is the same just the mount is different. The job went really well. If you are mechanicly inclined it should be no problem. The worst part was lifting the tank up to run the wires. You never cut and splice wires on the install. all wires go into the speedometer or into a wire connector. On hint i can give you is on one connection in a wiring connector you have to instal a pin in the connector. In order to do that you have to remove a small plastic pin that holds all the pins in the connector to put the wire in. the instructions dont tell you that, i just had to figure that one on my own. The tach even comes with its own fuse that you instal in in the fuse panel. You instal a fuse pin in the fuse panel to accept the fuse. If you decide to do it on your own and run into a problem e-mail me and i may be able to help.

Here is a pic of my tach.

Hope this helps,

David