Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Looking at a 2006 FLHTCI with "bad induction module"

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Anthony Perge
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 2006 FLHTCI with "bad induction module"

Hello. I am considering purchasing a used Electra Glide FLHTCI from the local dealer on a "mechanic special" that is said to have a bad induction module.

My terminology might be off, but is this essentially the vtwin version of a throttle body?

My question is: should I steer clear of this bike because of this issue?

Like the title says, it's a 2006 FLHTCI, 96ci, with about 80,000 miles. Dealer says the guy turned it in in the fall for repairs, and when they told him it was going be at least $1000, he decided to trade in the bike and buy a new on. They claim they don't fix trade ins, just inspect and disclose.

I'm definitely not afraid to get my hands dirty, and honestly kinda love the challenge. I just don't want to get myself into a serious money pit.

Anyone ever have issues with this part in the past that can give me some symptoms. They told me the bike was running and I could test ride it, so I'm gonna head back up tomorrow and take her down the road and see what happens.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Old 09-10-2017, 06:44 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

My advice, Run, don't walk...away. I don't know why the dealer wouldn't fix it then sell it. It may only need a new throttle body, but what happens if they misdiagnosed it? Then you may have just bought yourself a money pit. The only way I would buy it is if it were deeply discounted, which I doubt that a dealer would be willing to do.

Here's the NADA book on it:
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycle...-1450cc/Values

The following users liked this post:
Anthony Perge (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 07:02 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,090 Likes on 2,043 Posts

That's good to know...I was going to buy an online manual just for the convenience. I may be a lot of things but thief is not one of them...I'll grab a hard copy from boardtracker before I tear into my bike this winter.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,200 Likes on 659 Posts

06 is an 88"
Depending on price, could be a deal. My 06 has 96,000 and has had few problems. Rear injector is known for a bad connection, but that threw a code. One stator and two regulators in the 12 years.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Anthony Perge
Stage IV

Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning. They have it listed at 5500. I was going to stop back by there on Tuesday when they open up and see if there's any room on the price. At 5500, I couldn't risk it, but if I could get them down to somewhere around 4000, I'd be pretty tempted.

When I was up there, they said I could talk with the service manager about what all was going on with it. The story I got was it was the HOG president's bike, which started acting up He turned it in for repair, and when they told him how much it would be for the repairs and maintenance, he decided to just use that cash for a down payment on a new bike. They said he's in there all the time, I was kind of hoping I'd run into him and get a feel for what he felt it was worth.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Anthony Perge
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
06 is an 88"
Depending on price, could be a deal. My 06 has 96,000 and has had few problems. Rear injector is known for a bad connection, but that threw a code. One stator and two regulators in the 12 years.
They told me it was a 96"
I didn't look that close, was just passing through and the salesman, an old friend, brought it to my attention.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:39 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

You can buy an '06 in good condition, running, and with less miles for close to $5000. Any dealer that says they don't fix trade-ins is a place I would stay away from.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:53 AM
Anthony Perge
Stage IV

Originally Posted by bad tappets
You can buy an '06 in good condition, running, and with less miles for close to $5000. Any dealer that says they don't fix trade-ins is a place I would stay away from.

I'd love to know where you're finding prices like that. Around here, 06's are going for 8-10k