Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

your results with FP3 auto tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 05:23 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts
Default your results with FP3 auto tune

I have the FP3 on my slim....it runs well an gets good mileage but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything by no doing an auto tune session.

I've read where a few people said the auto tune was worse than the canned tune, so I'm wondering what results people are having.

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:50 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,220 Likes on 3,753 Posts

Try it and see...

Old 09-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Warrior 72
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been thinking about buying one myself, the only thing has stopped me is possibility of adding a cam later and the FP3 not being compatible for a cam upgrade.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:03 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

If cam is even a thought don't go FP3. It marries to the bike, no resale.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:30 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Warrior 72
I've been thinking about buying one myself, the only thing has stopped me is possibility of adding a cam later and the FP3 not being compatible for a cam upgrade.
I've upgraded cams, and displacement on multiple bikes with FP3's and had them perform flawlessly. Your information is grossly inaccurate if you think a FP3 is incapable of this.

As far as auto tuning, it is very user friendly, and will dial you in well, as long as you give it adequate time per session, and run several sessions back to back. You have to understand that while running autotune your bike will perform slightly worse, possibly with some stutters or stumbles, but once changes are applied and autotune is turned off it will perform excellently. Worst case if for some reason you dislike the results, simply flash back to what you started with.

Most folks that have issues with auto tuning, either don't run long enough sessions, started with a map that was pretty far off from what was needed, and or didn't run enough sessions to complete everything. Each autotune session can only make so big of a change (15%) so if a change that is needed is bigger than that multiple sessions will be required. And those last couple sessions should only be making minute changes to a few cells at a time perfecting everything, whereas the first few were potentially making large changes to a multitude of cells, no where near perfecting things yet.

Last edited by skid_pimp; 09-04-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:33 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by 1plumr1
If cam is even a thought don't go FP3. It marries to the bike, no resale.
It does marry therefor has no resale value, but your advice to stay away if thinking of a cam upgrade is flawed.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:04 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

Wouldn't do my Breakout with cams. And no canned map for it. Just my experience. The power vision works perfect.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Warrior 72
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
I've upgraded cams, and displacement on multiple bikes with FP3's and had them perform flawlessly. Your information is grossly inaccurate if you think a FP3 is incapable of this.

As far as auto tuning, it is very user friendly, and will dial you in well, as long as you give it adequate time per session, and run several sessions back to back. You have to understand that while running autotune your bike will perform slightly worse, possibly with some stutters or stumbles, but once changes are applied and autotune is turned off it will perform excellently. Worst case if for some reason you dislike the results, simply flash back to what you started with.

Most folks that have issues with auto tuning, either don't run long enough sessions, started with a map that was pretty far off from what was needed, and or didn't run enough sessions to complete everything. Each autotune session can only make so big of a change (15%) so if a change that is needed is bigger than that multiple sessions will be required. And those last couple sessions should only be making minute changes to a few cells at a time perfecting everything, whereas the first few were potentially making large changes to a multitude of cells, no where near perfecting things yet.
That's where the confusion is for me, I believe Vance and Hines says it's not compatible with cam upgrades, and I believe Fuel Moto also says stay away if a cam upgrade is in your future. It's good to hear that you have had success with the FP3 and cam upgrades, it makes sense that the auto tune could accommodate this.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:12 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Do yourself a favor and download the app and run in demo mode. Choose your bike and look through the options. Cam changes are there. Get used to the interface and see how you like it before deciding based on incorrect information. Btw, auto tunes work very well if you get close on base map. Mess that up and you will not tune properly

Old 09-04-2017, 11:08 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp

Yep...all good info!

Originally Posted by 1plumr1
Wouldn't do my Breakout with cams. And no canned map for it. Just my experience. The power vision works perfect.
I've upgraded cams in both my bikes, including my Breakout (Andrews 37H), and re-tuning with my FP3 couldn't have been easier. You just choose the cam from the FP3 list and flash the edit to your base map. Both my bikes run great with the edited maps, neither required autotuning...

Last edited by Rocker B; 09-04-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Quick Reply: your results with FP3 auto tune