Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Starter button

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:07 AM
crabclaws1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter button

Just wondering if anyone can help. I just replaced the cam sensor on my 97 Road King EFI. I don't know what happened, but, now she will only run with the starter button pushed. She'll rev up, and everything. As soon as I release the button, she dies. I've swapped relays around and nothing changes. HELP ME!!!!!! Thanks,

Old 08-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,425 Likes on 5,020 Posts

What made you suspect the cam sensor was bad?

Old 08-21-2017, 03:12 PM
crabclaws1
3rd Gear

It would only fire up if you tapped on it with a small hammer, end of a screwdriver, lighter or something like that. It would fire and run good sometime, but other times it would just crank and crank. But when you would tap on the sensor it would fire up every time. So I changed it.

No one has any ideas? Help, please!!! I'm losing riding time.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-29-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:01 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Is it really starting? How can you really tell if it only does it with starter button held in?

Old 08-27-2017, 06:58 PM
crabclaws1
3rd Gear
Default Starter button

Originally Posted by Zerk
Is it really starting? How can you really tell if it only does it with starter button held in?
Yeah, you can hear it running. Can even rev it up. So, yeah I'm sure. But as soon as you let go of the button, everything stops.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:20 PM
Crotonrz
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Does the starter disengage by itself once it starts to run? It honestly sounds like something wiring related in the Run/Stop & Start switch assembly, but I've never heard of anything like that. Does the Run/Stop switch still work like it should?

Old 08-27-2017, 08:38 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,425 Likes on 5,020 Posts

When you turn on the ignition switch and run switch (not pressing starter button), do you hear the fuel pump run?

Old 08-27-2017, 09:51 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by crabclaws1
Yeah, you can hear it running. Can even rev it up. So, yeah I'm sure. But as soon as you let go of the button, everything stops.
Lets stop here. Bike runs as long as starter button is held in.

I dunno. Maube you know what you are talking about, I am not there. But it sounds like you don't. But if you want to you can learn. Of courcse you can tell me to F'off which may or may not be the right choice.

But lets discect the electrical portion of this. Bike runs as long as starter is engaged. I tend to think you are f'ed up and have no mechanical ability. Again I could be a ahole. Again, this could be a chance to learn. How fing knows.

It fires when the starter is turning over the engine. You keep it up, my belief is next thread will be asking us how to replace starter, if dealer doesn't take over.

To my knowledge the only thing the starter button does is engage the starter. We should not enable him. Get to what the real problem is

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-28-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:46 AM
crabclaws1
3rd Gear

I dunno. Maube you know what you are talking about, I am not there. But it sounds like you don't. But if you want to you can learn. Of courcse you can tell me to F'off which may or may not be the right choice.

But lets discect the electrical portion of this. Bike runs as long as starter is engaged. I tend to think you are f'ed up and have no mechanical ability. Again I could be a ahole. Again, this could be a chance to learn. How fing knows.

It fires when the starter is turning over the engine. You keep it up, my belief is next thread will be asking us how to replace starter, if dealer doesn't take over.

To my knowledge the only thing the starter button does is engage the starter. We should not enable him. Get to what the real problem is

Yeah, you are an a'hole. And I know more about engines, than you do about spelling. I was just trying to find a little help. That's what this is supposed to be about. I've kept my bikes running, by myself for years. Without the shops. So, don't try to treat me like a dumbass that doesn't know anything. So, yeah, go to hell. The problem with this kinda site is people like you, who thinkthey know everything. Go back and work on your spelling, if you don't want to be of any assistance that's cool. But keep your opinionsto yourself, unless you want to help. I'll be riding in a day or so on my own work. Not the stealership. So yeah, F-OFF.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-29-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:56 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by crabclaws1
Yeah, you are an a'hole. And I know more about engines, than you do about spelling. I was just trying to find a little help. That's what this is supposed to be about. I've kept my bikes running, by myself for years. Without the shops. So, don't try to treat me like a dumbass that doesn't know anything. So, yeah, go to hell. The problem with this kinda site is people like you, who think they know everything. Go back and work on your spelling, if you don't want to be of any assistance that's cool. But keep your opinionsto yourself, unless you want to help. I'll be riding in a day or so on my own work. Not the stealership. So yeah, F-OFF.
Good on ya!

Yeah, you are not coming off as helpful in the least, more like a condescending ******* actually.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-29-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Starter button