Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Starter button

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:21 AM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 306 Likes on 211 Posts

This can only be a wiring issue related to the start/run switch assy. I too agree that your starter is probably not long for this world if you've been running the engine with the start button pushed--don't know why someone would do that.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,425 Likes on 5,020 Posts

Originally Posted by jbarr1
This can only be a wiring issue related to the start/run switch assy. I too agree that your starter is probably not long for this world if you've been running the engine with the start button pushed--don't know why someone would do that.
Well...if you look at the wiring diagram, you will see that it is very unlikely to be a problem in the wiring of the start/run switches (but it certainly should be checked out).

The starter will be fine.

OP: can you answer post #8 ?

Get out your digital multimeter.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-28-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:05 PM
jbarr1
Road Master
Received 306 Likes on 211 Posts

Where else does the power to energize the start relay and power to the ECM/coil intersect?? Yes, get out the meter and do some troubleshooting--shouldn't be hard to find.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:56 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Check the starter relay?

Old 08-28-2017, 09:42 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by crabclaws1
Yeah, you are an a'hole. And I know more about engines, than you do about spelling. I was just trying to find a little help. That's what this is supposed to be about. I've kept my bikes running, by myself for years. Without the shops. So, don't try to treat me like a dumbass that doesn't know anything. So, yeah, go to hell. The problem with this kinda site is people like you, who thinkthey know everything. Go back and work on your spelling, if you don't want to be of any assistance that's cool. But keep your opinionsto yourself, unless you want to help. I'll be riding in a day or so on my own work. Not the stealership. So yeah, F-OFF.
Unless you are going to pay me for my advice, I don't care about my spelling.

2nd I was being helpful. I just don't have a good bedside manner, and cold hands.

Why would holding the starter button allow the bike to run? Maybe I am missing something. But it just picks up the starter relay coil.

My suspscion is it not really running, just making noise. Figure out why you don't have good igniton.

If you need to prove it and are bored. Disconnect the big wire to the starter. Jumper power to it, while holding starter button, as soon as it starts remove jumper, but keep holding the starter button.

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Good on ya!
Have you provided on bit of useful information?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-29-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:00 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,009 Likes on 4,062 Posts

If you keep the throttle cracked will it continue to run when you release the button? I seem to remember that the Magneti Merelli stuff as multiple idle settings on the throttle stop. It's not like a Delphi systems with a idle air control stepper.

That's really about all I know on the system.. IIRC, the service manual might have an adjustment procedure.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:55 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk

Have you provided on bit of useful information?
No, I haven't, because I have none to share on the subject. But the minute amount of supposed useful information you have tried to "share", was shadowed by you simply being a sick. He called you out and I was simply applauding him for sticking up for himself instead of tolerating or condoning your abysmal behavior.