Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Switching to carburator

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:40 AM
dognut
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to carburator

Hello to all,After all the postings on not-so-good PC-3s Has anyone considered using one of the artermarket carburetor kits? J&p cycles has s&s carb kits for all models. Looks like a $400. bill covers it all.I know all about epa & state inspections so lets just look at this as a way to improve the way the bike should run. I have allready been told that if you install a resitor of correct oms at the injector connector you could leave the stock ecm do it ignition thing. What else is left? If the jetting is fat enought at idle you may not even need a choke cable & bracket. Im hoping so of you knowledgeable guys will ring in with some feedback.I am thing about doing this to my 06 heritage. Tom

Old 06-09-2007, 08:21 AM
IndyRider
Road Captain
Default RE: Switching to carburator

I can't help you on what is needed to switch from EFI to Carb but that sure seems like a pretty radical way to try and achieve good tuning.

There are a lot more happy PCIII users then the few who have had problems. For tuning I don't think you can beat EFI and a PCIII or SERT.

Just my thoughts.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:12 PM
schoney
Tourer

Dognut I'm thinking of doing the same, never heard an EFI sound as good as a carb at idle, and seems like a waste of money to have to buy tuner and then computers to program the damn things. Also never saw a carb just completely quit a guy on the road. Other changes you will have to do are
1. buy a petcock
2. disconnect the fuel pump(elec. power)
3. rid the old fuel line in the tank for petcock install
4. plug fuel return line
if you do it PM me and let me know what you all did and how you like it. It would be nice to know what I'm all in for before I start.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:46 AM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the process of collecting up all the parts I need to make the swap from efi to carb. It will probably be another month beforeI have everything together because I'm trying to find as much stuff as possibleused or below retail. I'll post when I'm done and let you know how it went.

In the meantime, search 'carb conversion'- that will take you to a few threads on the subject in this forum.

And here's a couple of links you might find useful.

http://www.4x4tuff.com/harleystore.html
http://www.amm.haan.de/Carb/carb.htm