Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition Switch Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:14 PM
anthony.chatham
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Electrical Issue

Hey fellas,

I'm a new rider and a bit uneducated about the electrical diagnostics of my bike, but I have a slightly annoying issue on my '14 Iron 883.

Straight to the problem: I insert the key and turn on the bike. Lights come on, fuel is injected per usual. However, nothing happens when I press the starter switch. After a couple minutes, the switch miraculously works and the bike starts up fine. Sometimes the switch works immediately, sometimes it doesn't. What is even stranger is if the bike is put in neutral, the starter switch will work immediately.

Right now I'm planning on checking the fuses, but I don't really know what else to do. I'm assuming the battery is fine since the lights come on. I tried looking up tips in the $60 service manual I bought only to find out I'd need to purchase an additional electrical diagnostics manual, which may be too advanced for me to read to begin with.

This issue started happening after a major storm. Typically the bike is open to the elements of the weather since I'm a college student, but I made sure to cover it up and protect it.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Anthony

Old 04-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Do you have a multimeter? Something to measure the voltage in your battery? It should be 12.8 volts without the bike running. The lights will come on even if the battery is not 100%.

How old is the battery?

Do you keep the bike on a Battery Tender? How long does the bike go between rides or charges?

If pulling in the clutch lever is different than having the bike in Neutral, I'd say you may need to give your clutch adjustment a look-see as well.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:50 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

If it starts immediately when in Neutral but not when the bike is in gear AND the clutch lever is pulled to the grip, then I would check the clutch switch in the left side handlebar control.