Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Might be a stupid SERT question, but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 01:17 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be a stupid SERT question, but...

Should my SERT have come with additional cables? All I received was a box containing the CD and the SERT interface module. No cables whatsoever. This was purchased from the dealer at the same time that I bought the bike, so it's not an eBay or third party thing.

I'm all set to get things going and realized that I only have half the cables needed. Not sure why I thought that the tuner would plug directly into a serial port somewhere on the bike...dumb, dumb, dumb. So am I short a part or do I need to purchase the cable as well? If do have to buy the cable (I'll be fecking PISSED!!), does anyone have a part number? Thanks for any info!

Old 06-03-2007, 01:59 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Might be a stupid SERT question, but...

Unfortunately they no longer come with cables like mine did last year. You have to pay extra for the cables now. Hey, what do you want from Harley, a set of cables includedwith the SERT thatlists for $459.00 for something that cost about $20 max. to make and distribute and have them include $2 worth of cables. Order a set on line, or pay more at the dealer. The Part# is 32108-06.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer

This is the most ridiculous f#*king thing I have ever heard of. What kind of company sells an interface requiring cables, but doesn't provide the cables, making said part completely f*#king useless?!?! Worse yet, the dealer did not inform me that I needed to purchase additional parts in order to make the race tuner work, otherwise I would have bought the goddamned things right there! The MoCo's pretentiousness/arrogance is absolutely idiotic at times. I will be writing a letter or two as a result of this stupidity. I'm sure it won't do any good, but I'll feel better afterward. [:@]

p.s. Thanks for the info oldfart. Of course, the stealerships are all closed until 10am today, so I have to sit on my hands for another couple of hours. Should have just ordered a PCIII from fuelmoto...live and learn.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:32 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the moco pretentiousness. I am currenlty ona 2800 mile road trip and I've been to 3 harley shops so far and the cheapest t-shirt I can find is 26.00. On the sale rack they go between 19 - 22 dollars. Back in the old days it was fun to collect dealership t-shirts from the places you've been - nowbecause they know that is what you are going to do, they try to rip you off. It is ridiculous to charge 26 bucks for a 5 dollar t-shirt...

Sorry for the rant, but this just exemplifies why Harley is suffering in sales and losing business to the japanese market...

Good luck finding the cables. There are several online harley stores that will undercut your dealer by 20% or more as well as not charge you tax. Chicago Harley had a flat 20% last month and may have extended it to this month. They were the only dealer that I could find that started from retail and cut straight 20%.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:59 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer

Absolutely ridiculous. I am writing a letter to Robert S. Farchione, General Manager of Parts and Accessories. Will also be sending copies on to a couple of other H-D officers. Separating a functional package for no other reason than to hide or mask additional costs is disgusting. You can't use one without the other, but you can't buy both for the old price of a complete kit. Greedy f#*kers **** me off...

Old 06-03-2007, 10:31 AM
cjuetten
Tourer

The cables are a redundant part if you own or tune multiple bikes. Why would you want to pay for multiple cables when you only need one set. I'm sure HD lowered the cost of the Race Tuner when the cables became a separate part.

In their defense the SE Pro Racing Parts catalog clearly state that The required Cable to connect PC and to the vehical are soldseparately, You may be better offcontacting you local parts guy than headquarters.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:33 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cjuetten

The cables are a redundant part if you own or tune multiple bikes. Why would you want to pay for multiple cables when you only need one set. I'm sure HD lowered the cost of the Race Tuner when the cables became a separate part.

In their defense the SE Pro Racing Parts catalog clearly state that The required Cable to connect PC and to the vehical are soldseparately, You may be better offcontacting you local parts guy than headquarters.
LOLLOLLOL Right, they lowered the cost of the SERT. Being in the computer industry for over 40 years do you know how much those cables probably cost them to have manufactured? I doubt that it would be even $2 at the most and they charge a ridiculous price for those cables now that they're sold as a separate item.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

WBHD: Instead of ranting atthe dealer,I picked up a set of cables from the service department for free for a buddy who had the newSERT version w/o cables. Many, many customers left their cables at the dealer (until '07, all SERTS came with the cables included) since they never intended to tune the bike themselves.So the service department had plenty of cable sets.

Also, since SERTs are in short supply and you haven't used the SERT, you can probably throw it on ebay and make a few $$$$.

And, if you are going to get profane and pissed over a $30 cable set, consider selling your HD and buy a metric--you will probably live happier and longer.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:50 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the most ridiculous f#*king thing I have ever heard of. What kind of company sells an interface requiring cables, but doesn't provide the cables, making said part completely f*#king useless?!?! Worse yet, the dealer did not inform me that I needed to purchase additional parts in order to make the race tuner work, otherwise I would have bought the goddamned things right there! The MoCo's pretentiousness/arrogance is absolutely idiotic at times. I will be writing a letter or two as a result of this stupidity. I'm sure it won't do any good, but I'll feel better afterward. [:@] Absolutely ridiculous. I am writing a letter to Robert S. Farchione, General Manager of Parts and Accessories. Will also be sending copies on to a couple of other H-D officers. Separating a functional package for no other reason than to hide or mask additional costs is disgusting. You can't use one without the other, but you can't buy both for the old price of a complete kit. Greedy f#*kers **** me off...
Now tell us how you REALLY feel.[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 06-03-2007, 04:31 PM
WouldBeHD
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

WBHD: Instead of ranting atthe dealer,I picked up a set of cables from the service department for free for a buddy who had the newSERT version w/o cables. Many, many customers left their cables at the dealer (until '07, all SERTS came with the cables included) since they never intended to tune the bike themselves.So the service department had plenty of cable sets.

Also, since SERTs are in short supply and you haven't used the SERT, you can probably throw it on ebay and make a few $$$$.

And, if you are going to get profane and pissed over a $30 cable set, consider selling your HD and buy a metric--you will probably live happier and longer.
It's the principle of the thing. I would have gladly paid $30 extra at the time of my original purchase, had a single, solitary person mentioned that I needed the cables at all. They didn't, so I'm running around on a Sunday morning, tracking down cables and cursing. Wish I could have gotten a free set, but I already anted up. I'd like to use the SERT, as the next best thing is a Thundermax and they cost twice as much. I'm just not a huge fan of inconvenience. I realize I'm going to pay Harley tax on everything they sell, I just want knowledgeable, helpful people available when I do decide to pay too much.

Quick Reply: Might be a stupid SERT question, but...