Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Might be a stupid SERT question, but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Might be a stupid SERT question, but...

WBHD: It is a lucky HD owner who experiences "knowledgeable" staff at the parts counter or service departmentof the HD store. It is, therefore,important to carefully read the Parts and Accessories Catalog (for infomation on fitment, other parts necessary for a successful installation, etc.), installation instructions, service manuals, etc. And even then there are errors in the material.

My favorite experience was ordering a quart of HD paint, waiting a week for it to come in, reading the label that specifically saysHD "activator" is required to be mixed with the paint, learning the the HD dealer didn't have any in stock, and waiting another week for the activator to arrive. Of course, the HD paint book the parts guy used to order the paint with the correct part number clearly stated that the activator was required.

Good luck with your new bike and enjoy the SERT.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:37 PM
WouldBeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

WBHD: It is a lucky HD owner who experiences "knowledgeable" staff at the parts counter or service departmentof the HD store. It is, therefore,important to carefully read the Parts and Accessories Catalog (for infomation on fitment, other parts necessary for a successful installation, etc.), installation instructions, service manuals, etc. And even then there are errors in the material.

My favorite experience was ordering a quart of HD paint, waiting a week for it to come in, reading the label that specifically saysHD "activator" is required to be mixed with the paint, learning the the HD dealer didn't have any in stock, and waiting another week for the activator to arrive. Of course, the HD paint book the parts guy used to order the paint with the correct part number clearly stated that the activator was required.

Good luck with your new bike and enjoy the SERT.
That is just downright discouraging right there. [>:] Fact of the matter is, the problem is not ignorance, as I guarantee you that each of those sales reps gets all the right parts for their own scoots. They just don't give a damn and that's a serious problem, given what we're all paying for these bikes and their parts.

Going for a little ride to clear my head. Catch you all later.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:49 PM
harleymojoman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately they no longer come with cables like mine did last year. You have to pay extra for the cables now. Hey, what do you want from Harley, a set of cables includedwith the SERT thatlists for $459.00 for something that cost about $20 max. to make and distribute and have them include $2 worth of cables. Order a set on line, or pay more at the dealer. The Part# is 32108-06.
That's another good reason to go with the Power Commander; 9v stand alone power supply, USB cable and CD are included for $279 ! ! !

Old 06-04-2007, 09:17 AM
kwas
Cruiser

This may be even a dumber question, but..... is there any difference between HD's serial interface cable and a standard computer serial cable? 9 pins is 9 pins....

Old 06-05-2007, 01:50 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: kwas

This may be even a dumber question, but..... is there any difference between HD's serial interface cable and a standard computer serial cable? 9 pins is 9 pins....
I don't know, I will have to meter my cable and find out when I get a chance. The problem with all cables is even though they have the same amount of pins the pin outs could be different on one end.