Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Wiring up fog lights to a HARLEY QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005 | 08:16 PM
Hoopman
|
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring up fog lights to a HARLEY QUESTION

this should be an easy one. I own a 2006 Harley Road King Custom. I am going to install a 55W foglight on each side of the crashbar.
I would like the lights to be operable anytime I want which means I need a switch. This model comes with two toggle switches up front. The switch has a
short cable length and then a female plus with 4 wires on it for input.

I am not sure why there is four except I know that this is to plug in a harness of some sort when buying a full kit. What is the easiest way for me to wire these?
I was told that the orange/white or yellow (cant tell) wire is always hot. It was suggested that I run a wire from that through an inline fust to the lights and of course ground the lights. Since I would like to add a switch, I can add one to the wire or prefferably use the switch on the bike by understnading the connector and how to use it without a harness to plug in.

Bottom line I want these on the easiest way possible and be able to use a switch. Can you help?

Hoopman

Old 10-09-2005 | 03:34 PM
Pat
Road Master
Default RE: Wiring up fog lights to a HARLEY QUESTION

Hoopman,

I don't know much about your bike's electrical layout but here is how I wired up the passing lamps on mine.

The large flat front chrome trim piece around the headlight had a hole on the back piece for a toggle so that is where I put my switch. Used a single pole switch, power to the switch comes from the "accesory" tab on the ignition switch. The switched power then trips a $5 automotive 12 volt relay mounted on the rubber "tongue" (for lack of a better description) that is under the tank panel. The main power to the relay comes from the output side of the main circuit breaker and through an inline 15 amp fuse. This way the lights will only work when the bike's power is "on" so I can't forget them and drain the battery. Your two 55 watt bulbs (110 watts) at +/- 14 volts means about 8 amps which I think is bit high to run through a switch, hence the relay set up. Use good quality 14 guage wire, keep the runs as short as you can, heat shrink the connections and splices and you should be good to go. I also but a silicone filled rubber boot on the back of the switch as an extra precaution.

I've also wired in a 12 volt electrical outlet for heated clothing or GPS or IPod power. I only have a 22 amp electrical system so I also installed a volt meter to keep an eye on the power drain.

Have fun with it, post a pic when you're done.

Old 10-09-2005 | 03:58 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Pat

Great explination, only thing I might do differently is to run the light circuit off it's own breaker/fuse instead of through the main breaker. Too much to pull through it for any length of time along with all the other systems . It would grow old real quick even though they have increased the size in later years.

Old 10-12-2005 | 02:14 AM
Pat
Road Master

run the light circuit off it's own breaker/fuse

Good idea Bill,

Did that right after I read your post, thanks!