Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

V&H Fuel-Pac

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007 | 03:24 AM
waterdog
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: V&H Fuel-Pac

I had the FuelPak installed by my dealer along with a set of V&H Q-Series Double Barrel Staggers and a Stage 1 A/C. I've road a littleover 400 miles since the install and have had no problems other than a rare couple of times that I got some popping while deceling and downshifting shifting from the mid gears to lower gears. And that has been very rare and not very disturbing.

Other than that, the bike has had more power and about 5 MPG better mileage, plus I love the sound of the new pipes.

Old 06-04-2007 | 08:36 PM
FLHRSE3
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spoke with V&H and told them I was experiencing more decel pop than I would like and he immediately told me to adjust 23 to 15. I told him that I had read some posts on forums were they were advised to set it to 50 and he laughing replied no set it to one, five, and do not go any lower than 15. Funny thing is, he never even asked what kind of bike I ride or what mods I’ve done. If we have decent weather tomorrow, I will give it a try, but my expectations are not too high.

Gregg

Old 06-04-2007 | 08:58 PM
Bill G
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLHRSE3

I just spoke with V&H and told them I was experiencing more decel pop than I would like and he immediately told me to adjust 23 to 15. I told him that I had read some posts on forums were they were advised to set it to 50 and he laughing replied no set it to one, five, and do not go any lower than 15. Funny thing is, he never even asked what kind of bike I ride or what mods I’ve done. If we have decent weather tomorrow, I will give it a try, but my expectations are not too high.

Gregg

After reading this post....[] I called Adam again at V&Hto confirm the settings being discussed and I quote him, this iswhat he said.....You can run a setting of 15 or 50 on mode 23. The 15 setting will minimize or do away with most ofthe decel popping depending on your riding style and the 50 setting will do away with the decel poppingall together. You can run either setting without hurting the bike, it is your prefference. He also confirmed these setting did not richen or lean the mapped fuel curve, they only change the way the fuel pack inner reacts on deceleration with the factory ECM.

Gregg, no offence, butyou have your facts wrong, you can use either setting and get diffrent results depending on your taste and riding style.

By the way my 07 RKC runs great with mode 23 set at 50, all the decel popping is gone. I still had some popping at setting 15 on mode 23.

Take Care,
Bill G

Old 06-04-2007 | 09:36 PM
FLHRSE3
Advanced

Bill

Thanks for providing a little more insight on what mode 23 does. It is unfortunate that changing to 50 did not provide the same positive results on my ride as yours. Were both running the same mufflers and I installed the Doherty Power Pacc witch the company boasts of allowing more air flow than the competition, maybe that has something to do with it, I doubt it but who knows. Hopefully setting 15 will make a difference.

Thanks

Gregg

Old 06-04-2007 | 09:52 PM
Bill G
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: FLHRSE3

Bill

Thanks for providing a little more insight on what mode 23 does. It is unfortunate that changing to 50 did not provide the same positive results on my ride as yours. Were both running the same mufflers and I installed the Doherty Power Pacc witch the company boasts of allowing more air flow than the competition, maybe that has something to do with it, I doubt it but who knows. Hopefully setting 15 will make a difference.

Thanks

Gregg
Gregg thanks for the reply and the info. You are probably correct about your A/C unit drawing more air in. The Fuel Pack is tuned with the regular old Screaman Eagle style or say the Arlan Ness type stage 1 A/C unitsthat draw less air than the unit you have.That may make a big diffrence in tuning peramiters for sure.

Also a guy has to make sure he sets the throttle position correctly with the Fuel pack to read between 0 and 99 at full throttle, 50 at half throttle.if this is off a little I would think it could cause some problems. We had to do my budys bike twice as it only read 89 at full throttle instead of 99and we had to reset ita second time to get it right.

Take Care,
Bill G

Old 06-05-2007 | 02:49 PM
DCRANER
Tourer

I have read enough posts to convince me the Fuel Pak works well, but on the 07's with O2 Sensors has anyone noticed if they are running too rich? Anyone do a plug check?

Old 06-05-2007 | 05:08 PM
HDSapper
Intermediate

Hey dynaglider,

I'm in the same boat. Got my SE air cleaner and Fuelpak for my '06 Dyna, but am told the Straightshots HS Slip-ons are backordered until 29 June. I called V&H today to see if they had a map for stock pipes so that I could put on the Fuelpak and AC today, but they did not. They did, however, say that they hadthe slip-onsin stock andcould get them to me in 5 days. Bad news is they want full retail ($270) plus $30 shipping. I decided to wait and only pay $235 delivered. I can give you the number is you have deeper pockets than me...

Old 06-05-2007 | 06:47 PM
Bill G
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: DCRANER

I have read enough posts to convince me the Fuel Pak works well, but on the 07's with O2 Sensors has anyone noticed if they are running too rich? Anyone do a plug check?

The plugs on my 07 RKC look good. With modern gas, oxiginatedgas here in California yourplugs will read a little diffrent, more of a clean or faintlight grayish color,not the traditional brownish tan. The V&H fuel pack works fine with my O2 sensors, as a matter of fact V&H states that the fuel pack will works just fine with the O2 sensors on the 07 models

The fuel packmaps givenareset to run at around Best mean lean horse power at cruise speeds, around 14.0 to 14.1 from whattheV&H teck told me to give good throttle responce and best fuel milage.

Take Care,
Bill G

These fuel Ratios came from COBRA USA web site, it is very good information

Let's explain some of the above terms used in this chart:
AIR FUEL RATIO this is the amount of air, by weight, that is used in relationship to the amount of fuel. We will call this AFR.
STOICIMETRIC a scientist's term for the theoretical perfect burn. All hydrocarbons(fuel) and all oxygen are consumed, leaving only carbon dioxide and water vapor. This is the target AFR that manufacturers use to pass emissions.
BEST MEAN LEAN TORQUE this is the AFR where an engine that is NOT under load, creates its best power with the least amount of fuel. This spot can be found by the old tried and true drop idle test on the low speed screw on a carburetor. Turning the mixture on a carburetor (or the green pot on a Fi2000) until you find the setting where the engine runs at its highest and smoothest idle. This also explains best fuel mileage because you are achieving the maximum horsepower that the engine can produce at cruise speed, allowing you to ride with the least amount of throttle opening
BEST MEAN TORQUE this is exactly what it says, with the engine under load, this is the AFR where it produces maximum torque or power.
CARBON MONOXIDE PERCENTAGE because CO is the direct by-product of any mixture richer than stoicimetric, and it increases almost linearly with that richness, it is the best gas of 5 gases on a EGA machine to watch when you are tuning for performance. Even cruise fuel requires a slightly richer AFR than 14.7 and power fuel even more.
AFR TEST EQUIPMENT it's not on the chart, but all this data doesn't mean much if you cant see it. There are two technologies currently being used for accurately seeing AFR.
1. 4 or 5 gas exhaust analyzers. These are the machines you see when you get your car smogged. The gases give a complete view of what is happening inside the combustion chamber. Oxygen gives a very accurate lean side of the fuel map, CO gives a very accurate view of the rich side of the map, Carbon dioxide (CO2) gives an accurate view of the completeness of the burn and Hydrocarbons (HC) give indications of incomplete burn, like fouled spark plugs, etc. All four gases combine to calculate the AFR.

2. Wide band oxygen sensors. They are very fast, easy to incorporate into computers and dynos because they create an electronic signal. But they are more accurate on the lean side of the AFR fuel curve.
What does all this mean? Simply, if you look at the chart, an engine wants a different AFR when it is cruising than when it is making power. That makes sense, when the engine isn't under a load, a leaner mixture can get the job done. And this fact is exactly what manufacturers use when they are tuning the AFR maps. They can tune the light load/cruise zone for best emissions and good fuel economy, but when the throttle gets cranked, and you demand power, the EFI map can jump into a much richer range and produce power. Engines

Old 06-06-2007 | 08:24 PM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a '07 Ultra with a FuelPak and decel popping. I attempted to scroll to mode 23 as recommended here and by Adam with V&H. Problem is I don't have mode 23 as it stops at mode 22 and goes back to 01. Any ideas??????????????

Old 06-06-2007 | 09:08 PM
FLHRSE3
Advanced

ORIGINAL: gabhart

I have a '07 Ultra with a FuelPak and decel popping. I attempted to scroll to mode 23 as recommended here and by Adam with V&H. Problem is I don't have mode 23 as it stops at mode 22 and goes back to 01. Any ideas??????????????
I’m not positive, but I think that would be an indication that you do not have the latest version (12) and again I’m not positive but I thought V12 was required for the 07’s.

Gregg

Quick Reply: V&H Fuel-Pac