Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Firmware Update for a PC III USB

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:29 PM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Firmware Update for a PC III USB

Does anyone know how to update the firmware on a PC III USB? I noticed a newer version than what I have on the PC website.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:06 AM
OB1DYNA
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Firmware Update for a PC III USB

Just download the new version to your laptop and then connect to your PCIII WITH THE 9VOLT ADAPTER. The software will give you the option of updating the firmware (one of the menus). Just click and wait, then upload your map after that. DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE WITH YOUR BIKE RUNNING. It will stall and will not restart until everything is reloaded. I learned the hard way.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:59 AM
gabhart
Road Master

I did download it and unzipped it on my laptop. I have been communicating with the PCIII disconnected from the bike using the 9VDC adapter. I have looked everywhere and can't find an option to update the firmware.

Does the PCIII have to be connected to the bike?

Old 06-01-2007, 08:49 PM
kry226
Advanced

In the software, click Power Commander Tools and the very last option in that menu should be Update Firmware. Click that and follow the prompts. If you don't have that option in that menu, you may have to update the actual PCIII software first.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:42 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: gabhart

I did download it and unzipped it on my laptop. I have been communicating with the PCIII disconnected from the bike using the 9VDC adapter. I have looked everywhere and can't find an option to update the firmware.

The bike cannot be running when you do a firmware update. You must power the unit with the 9V adapter instead. OB1Dyna, I, and others have found that out the hard way, and mine took over 15 minutes before it regained its composure enough to accept the firmware update, which revived it. I thought for a while I had a dead PCIII and would have to send it back to DynoJet.

You probably don't have the latest version of the PC software, which I think is 3.1.8. I had trouble finding this on the PC site, which is very lacking in organization, but finally got it through another member of this forum. This is yet another example of the value received by this forum. My earlier version (3.1.2, IIRC) did not have the option to update the firmware either.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:23 AM
kry226
Advanced

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: gabhart

The PCIII cannot be connected to the bike when you do a firmware update. OB1Dyna, I, and others have found that out the hard way, and mine took over 15 minutes before it regained its composure enough to accept the firmware update, which revived it. I thought for a while I had a dead PCIII and would have to send it back to DynoJet.

You probably don't have the latest version of the PC software, which I think is 3.1.8. I had trouble finding this on the PC site, which is very lacking in organization, but finally got it through another member of this forum. This is yet another example of the value received by this forum. My earlier version (3.1.2, IIRC) did not have the option to update the firmware either.
Unless an update has been released within the last couple of weeks, the current software version is 3.2.1.

Iclick, I have no idea how you "revived" your PCIII. Mine was dead for over a week until my new 9volt adapter arrived from Dynojet. I had no problem with it connected to the bike during the update, I just had to use the alternate power source with the bike's ignition off. It's strange how each bike and each PCIII seems to act on its own accord.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:19 AM
gabhart
Road Master

Thanks folks. I had an older version of the software on my laptop. After I downloaded the newest (Beta) "upgrade firmware" was there. Now if I knew what the upgrade did for me I would be happy.

I have a '07 Ultra and have been suffering from the dreaded delayed starting issue. I have communicated with PC several times. They admit to the issue since Harley changed the ECM for '07. I have currently gone back to using the V&H FuelPak since it never loses power like the PC does causing the delay.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Mark
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any idea what improvements are with this new firmware update.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:37 PM
gabhart
Road Master

No more delayed starting on '07's!!!!!!!!!!!! right......

Old 06-03-2007, 11:46 PM
harleymojoman
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I downloaded the latest software which is ver. 3.2.1 from the website and loaded it on my PC. My bike is running so good I don't want to load any new firmware and risk breaking somthing that isn't broke!

Quick Reply: Firmware Update for a PC III USB