Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2003 Electra Glide Classic - no idle ....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:09 PM
rkeith2
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Electra Glide Classic - no idle ....

I bought this bike new in 03 and have 21000 miles on it now. I started noticing more popping on deceleration than usual and then at cruise and btwn shifts a backfire becoming moreand more frequent.

I have upped to hi octane and injector cleaner as well as checking the air filter and new plugs.

Yesterday morning I started out for work after a hard start and it started completely cutting out with the engine light coming on which I am not sure if that means the ignition is on and motor dead or a failure of other kinds. Wheeled around in less than a block and took it back home.

I chatted with the folks at the local HD store while purchasing a replacement service manual and remembered that lately when the bike is topped off itruns pretty goodand when 1/2 or less the problems are more readily apparent ... a ha my man says; you have trouble in one of the tank straws, so, sure enough I get home and start pulling it apart and found the convoluted hose from the filter to the check valve had a pin sized hole in it ... off to another local shop and 55 dollars later I have a hose with check valve replacement (has to be a kit you see). Got it all back together and man it sounded great - 1 small feed line hole.

So -

Here is the pi$$er for today. I fired out of the garage and was enjoying the feel of a new bike, yes, it was actually running smoother than I can remember in quite some time. 35 miles later as I pulled into McD's for a cup of Joe on the way to work and when I fired it back up - same action as yesterday morning and I had to tighten the throttle thumb screw to assist in keeping the idle at 1500 or so. When I pulled into work and closed the throttle she died ... WTF over.

Did I get to happy with one hose and should have bought a new bike :-)

Really - filter, other hose, pump -

Frustrating that it ran sooooo sweet and then this intermitten BS

Old 05-30-2007, 12:15 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: 2003 Electra Glide Classic - no idle ....

Have all the hoses isnside the tank replaced. Those holes are usually too small to actually see. Then see wat happens. Check your vent tube off of the tank to makes sure it is not clogged, and try someone elses gascap to see if the vent hole in your is possible toast. I had the smae problem last year, and it was the one of the hoses. But these are all other suggestions I got from people atthe stealer and on here. Good luck...

Old 05-30-2007, 12:20 PM
rkeith2
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only changed the one from the checkvalve to the filter assy (long one) and I did find a small pin hole in it. I did not see any fuel leaking from the short hose that goes from the pump to regulator.

Now - since it ran awesome for 35 miles and that hose is probably now at least 1/2 way exposed I am going to top off at lunch time and see if the problem stops - if so I know I at least need the small hose and filter and such as well for good measure.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:21 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Good idea...