Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Softail 103 TPS replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 05:23 PM
SlimmySlimSlim
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail 103 TPS replacement

Hello everyone. I have a 2013 Slim that has about 12,500 miles on it. I have read many threads on bad throttle position sensors which I'm suspecting may be my problem. On acceleration it seems to cut out at the same rpm, right around 2500. It's very brief. Feels like it's losing spark or fuel for maybe half a second then it's fine. My mileage has gone down also. I have cams and S&S intake and it was dyno tuned. Mileage was 38 now it's around 33. Feels good cruising on the highway. However, when I'm riding slow say 25-40 and holding the throttle steady it feels almost like it's pulsating. Like the power is cutting in and out. Not anything terrible but it's noticeable. So from my research it sounds like the TPS possibly. But, all the threads I've read are about the older style that can be adjusted. I don't have a multimeter and am not very electronic savvy. If I was to just buy another TPS and replace it, would it have to be re tuned to get it recalibrated? I have the dynojet power vision by the way. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-14-2016, 05:59 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

My suggestion is to take it to the tuner and have him check it out.
Chances are it's not the TPS. Not enough miles to wear it out.
They do not need to be electrically set after replacement. The ECM takes care of that.
My bet is there is 1 or 2 VE cells that are causing your running issue.
A tuner can determine if it's a tuning issue in a couple minutes.
Either you didn't notice the bad area in the past or something has changed since it was tuned.
Bob

Last edited by FLTRI17; 11-14-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:53 PM
SlimmySlimSlim
Stage III

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
My suggestion is to take it to the tuner and have him check it out.
Chances are it's not the TPS. Not enough miles to wear it out.
They do not need to be electrically set after replacement. The ECM takes care of that.
My bet is there is 1 or 2 VE cells that are causing your running issue.
A tuner can determine if it's a tuning issue in a couple minutes.
Either you didn't notice the bad area in the past or something has changed since it was tuned.
Bob
I believe something changed since the tune. I did the cams and had it tuned a little over a year ago. It's been great until about a month ago when I noticed my mileage going down and also it would try to die on me when coming to a stop. Not every time tho it was intermittent. I decided to change out the idle air control motor since it was only $40 bucks. It hasn't tried to die on me since then. But my mileage isn't back where it used to be and it's still acting a little strange at low speeds. I just wanted to see if I could fix instead of taking to the tuner. I know if I call him he'll just tell me to bring it in and I don't have an extra $300 at the moment. Does the IAC motor have to be set in the tune? I was under the impression that it only affects idle.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:34 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 619 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by SlimmySlimSlim
I believe something changed since the tune. I did the cams and had it tuned a little over a year ago. It's been great until about a month ago when I noticed my mileage going down and also it would try to die on me when coming to a stop. Not every time tho it was intermittent. I decided to change out the idle air control motor since it was only $40 bucks. It hasn't tried to die on me since then. But my mileage isn't back where it used to be and it's still acting a little strange at low speeds. I just wanted to see if I could fix instead of taking to the tuner. I know if I call him he'll just tell me to bring it in and I don't have an extra $300 at the moment. Does the IAC motor have to be set in the tune? I was under the impression that it only affects idle.
Call the tuner and ask if and how much to look at it for you. Assume nothing. A good tuner will quickly pinpoint the issue and if he charges you $50-100 to do it, that might be a whole lot cheaper than throwing parts at it in hopes you trip across the problem.
Foe example, a bad engine temp or map sensor will cause the issue you describe.
Could be an air leak or.....
Internet guessing can, and usually does, cost more than paying a pro for his diagnostics and sometime, even repair cause he has the right tools and experience.
Bob

Old 11-15-2016, 03:18 PM
SlimmySlimSlim
Stage III

Ok thanks bob